Friday, August 27, 2010

Wound update

Whenever I hear/use the word wound I have this overwhelming urge to don a bad English accent and quote Monty Python, "It's just a flesh wound!" But sadly, just like in the movie, my wound is far worse than a flesh wound. It's infected. I just got back from the routine "wound check" at the ER where they took off the brace and all the bandages (which felt SO good - my skin got to breath and air out for a few minutes). There's a slight infection. The ER doc (a different one than I had Wednesday night, but this one had similar lack of sympathy for my pain and weird sense of humor - maybe ER medical staff is different than regular nurses and physicians, just because they constantly see people in excruiating pain and have to deal with bums off the street a lot) said the infection was minor right now, but if it spreads then I have to be hospitalized, and worst case scenario - lose my leg. I waited for him to laugh at his little joke. He didn't laugh. So I'm under orders now to do a whole bunch of stuff that makes my life harder. Eg: warm compresses 6x/day, removing the brace as often as possible, redressing my wound if I want to walk anywhere, take showers washing the wound w/ baby soap, take a mild antibiotic.... actually, the doc wanted to give me a strong antibiotic shot (in my BUM, ew) but I told him I'm breastfeeding twins and he said nevermind, unless I wanted babies with thrush and yeast diaper rash infections. Glad I told him. That's all I need! In fact, another thing I need to remember to be grateful for is that my children are all healthy and doing well. Ya know how, whenever your kid is sick, you always wish you could take their pain away and it could be YOU instead of THEM suffering... well I am definitely glad it's me with the problems and not them.
I also had an MRI today  (ten points if you already knew what that stood for. I had to ask. Magnetic Resonance Imaging). Have you ever seen one of those MRI machines?! They're like space ships! Loud, cold, huge... I thought I'd be able to nap while laying there for 20-30 minutes. But I was afraid aliens would show up for the rest of the medical exam.  We find out the results Monday. If the patellar tendon is completely torn, I go in for surgery. If there's just a hole in it, we wait and see if it heals itself. Then I spend the rest of my life at risk of patellar tendonitis. I'm starting to think I'll never get "complete an Ironman" off my bucket list.
I just had another thought - along with losing my leg, there's another thing I'm really nervous about: the HOSPITAL BILLS!  Ugh.
Cute story: Brianna just came in and I asked her if she wanted to see my owie. She came up to it and her face just fell. "OOOOOOhh NO!....I kiss it all better." She kissed it and looked up at me with a hopeful smile, "You all better now, Mommy?"
I wish!

9 comments:

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

Ugh. It just keeps gettin' better and better huh? I did have to laugh at your alien comment. At least you are still able to keep a sense of humor about everything. Yeah, the hospital bills are NOT going to be ANY fun. I wouldn't totally cross the Ironman thing of your bucket list. You still have time to do some healing and recovering and maybe in a few years with some careful training you'll be able to do it.

I'll be bringin ya some food tomorrow and I am sure you haven't seen the last of me (Muahahahahaha!) Get some rest and remember that all this yucky stuff is only temporary and you'll be back to doing all your usual stuff sooner or later.

rach said...

Oh man. I feel for you right now. I was just reading your blog and I was so impressed with how you are dealing as a new mom of twins and then BAM you get hit with this! I can't believe it. Hang in there...you can pull through. I have you in my prayers!

Sam and Melissa said...

Chelsea! I am so sorry! I am impressed you are still able to keep a sense of humor throughout this post, you da bomb :) I'll be praying for ya. I bet it will heal up better and quicker than expected and you will be in top shape in no time.

Marilyn said...

What a challenging experience you are going through. Does Brian have time off to help? I don't see how you can do all this without help. I hope that you don't need the operation and that you heal quickly. My thoughts are with you.

Megan Smith said...

Wow, Chelsea. I'm sure glad you're able to end off with a cute story. How about we bring the family reunion to you and just have a big service project? Lucky for you you have a big fan club and lots of people praying for a fast recovery.

Julie said...

Chels - holy cow!! prayers are with you and your family. Wish we lived closer to give you a lending hand. make sure to follow doc's orders.

Unknown said...

you are also in our prayers. I wish you a safe recovery and I think you'll still find a way to complete a full ironman. You're still young! Brianna is the sweetest.

Air Force Blues said...

Ouch!! Hey I'm glad it is you and not me as well. Kids are the cutest when mommy is sick or hurt. After my surgery in March, Makena was telling me goodnight and said "You get feel better O.K. mom" They make you feel better just by talking.

Allison said...

Craziness! Just when you are supermom you have to step in up again. Take care of yourself! At least you have Brianna kisses to help.