Sunday, May 23, 2010

Father-"Son" camping trip

When Brian told me he wanted to take Brianna on our ward's Father-Son camping trip, I gently reminded him that Brianna was his daughter, and his only son would be camping with me exclusively for a couple more months. But that didn't stop him. He asked Brianna if she wanted to go camping with him (I'm pretty sure she doesn't remember what camping is) and she said, "YAH! Go pamping! Mommy go pamping too?" When we told her no, that I would be staying home and she would camp with just daddy, she had to think about it for a little bit. But she ended up jumping in the car with him Friday night and heading up to the Three Peaks camping area for a night of campfires, Dutch Oven, and hiking. Brian got photos just of the hiking part (with friends David and Tyrus):
I didn't actually stay home - a couple of my friends in the ward wanted to have a girl's night, since we were all husbandless. So we did a potluck and played games and just hung out. Then I got home and had a hot date with laundry, the vacuum, and our ridiculous CD collection. I organized the whole mess and got rid of a few dozen. I can't believe the lame junk I used to listen to. Brian's collection was even worse - he had a bunch of mixed ghetto pop/rap music burned. The next free Swap Meet in June will feature a substantial musical donation from the McKells.
So back to the camping story - the wind was so bad that they couldn't sleep in tents. So B & b "slept" in the back of the van with the seats folded down (yay for large uneconomical vehicles!) He said they read bedtimes books by flashlight, and she climbed all over the front seats playing with every button and knob, before finally settling down.
I would've been alarmed when I heard our door open at 3:30am except that I immediately heard Brianna yelling out, "Mommy, I had fun CAMPING!"
Brian wasn't quite in the same happy mood.
Apparently she woke up after just sleeping a few hours and insisted that they go home. Brian's not the type to say no to her (ever. Yeah, it's a problem), so they took off in the wee morning hours. 
They were both filthy and smelly so I tried to get them to shower, but he wasn't in the mood to let me boss  him around. I figured he wouldn't want to ever go camping with her again, but today he asked me if we could go on a camping trip with him for his birthday to Lake Powell!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

This post speaks volumes about your husband. How awesome to take his daughter camping, and to want to go again after a sleepless night. You're a good sport too, camping while pregnant is an adventure in my book.
Funny how you mention he doesn't like to say no to Brianna. It's similar in our household, even though Corey's in law enforcement, most of the enforcing at home is done by me, too!

summer said...

that is super cute that they had some time together....even if it was cut short. And I get the part of not dealing with a husband that is without sleep - I'm finally learning (after 9 yrs. of marriage) that Bryson hates - yes hates...that word we don't use in our home! - to be kept from sleep or woken up. He would rather sleep in his clothes, in a child's bed all cramped in, teeth unbrushed and obviously not ready for bed than for me to wake him up. I just don't get it...I am opposite, I might be grumpy for a minute, but I have to have everything just right before I doze off. He is actually in the state that I just described above...his father & son camping is taking place right now, with Jacob in the bottom bunk. Thankfully these crazy husbands keep us young....right?! I hope!!!

Debbie said...

I like Brian McKell.

valmike said...

That's amazing. Kudos to Brian for being, "the cool Dad!"