Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ran into the past...

My dear friend Nina from Denmark randomly emailed this video to me a couple days ago. She went to Hawaii Pacific University while I was at BYU-Hawaii. So we competed against each other in Cross Country races. We became very good friends - we even flew out to her wedding last year in Denmark. On my very last day in Hawaii, we ran to the top of Diamondhead together. In the off-season (and probably during the season too) we went to a lot of local races on the island. She introduced me to her HPU friends and helped me meet some really cool people from all over the world. It was really good for me, since otherwise the only friends I wouldve had would all be LDS and American (mostly).
Anyways, so I wanted to post this video because it was a real "blast from the past." I'm not sure if that's the right way to describe it... but basically it just sent me on a trip down memory lane. I watched it like 6 times (its only 27 seconds long). It was like looking back on a glimpse of a different world - before I knew Brian, before I knew what I wanted to do with my life... when pretty much all I did was run around Hawaii. Good times.
Though some viewers may not need any explanation on this clip (well, actually probably just my mom), here is a little background:
This was November 2003 in North Carolina. It was the NCAA Div 2 National Cross Country Championships. I can't remember the city or where this 6K course was... but it was gorgeous. NC in the fall is amazing. My parents were there, Coach K of course, I think Meredith came too, and my Uncle Brad and his family who lived out there. This clip was at the beginning of the race - definitely before the 1st mile mark... because AFTER the first mile mark, that Penn State girl was NOT in the lead anymore... =)

3 comments:

Amy Hunter said...

You rock! It makes me wish I was a runner!

You asked what my secret is: I use herbalife and Celeste Merrill is my weightloss coach. She is incredible and would be able to answer any questions you might have and give you some great tips, even if you aren't interested in herbalife. Although, she is supposedly having her baby today so she'll be a little busy ;)!

Meanwhile, I think you look fantastic! If only I could look half so healthy!

Tia Langston said...

I love contacts from old friends. BTW---I tagged you on my blog...check it out if you want. And you're right, JB, probably won't do the other one. :o)

Ashley said...

That was a cool video, I love to remember the past. Things were so much less complicated back in the college days.