Saturday, April 26, 2008

5K - mommy season


I like that quote (scripture) about there being a time and season for all things.
Running and racing has been a significant part of my life for about 7 years now. It paid for my entire education - undergrad and masters. It helped me meet some wonderful people from all over the world. I've had "seasons" where I trained fanatically and raced professionally. I've had seasons where I thought of little else other than how my next workout will help me win my upcoming race. And I did a LOT of races - as you can see from my collection of race number bibs. On the back of each is a thorough description of each race - my time, place, prize, weather, the distance, how I felt, etc. Obsessive? Perhaps. But that was that season of my life.
The next photos show the current season I am enjoying...

I have created a NEW wall of race bibs.
They are.... the mommy bibs. Three so far.
The race times written on the back are significantly slower. Almost embarrassingly slow, if I let my mind go that way...
The places/awards are usually nonexistent (unless by some fluke, no one shows up, as occurred at today's fun run).
But... there is nothing more rewarding than finishing my race and grabbing my baby from my sweet supportive husband. That is partly why the new race bibs are displayed in Brianna's room - I feel like I do this for her. She deserves a happy, healthy mommy, and running does that for me. Now I'm not saying that one needs to be a runner and participate in fun-runs to be a good mom. Some may say "yeah, duh." But I know there are other moms out there who would become defensive and/or self-conscious reading this. Like I said - babies deserve happy, healthy moms, and this is what does it for ME. Everyone gets their kicks in their own way.
This last photo is extremely heart-warming to me, and reminds me of another reason I support all these local 5K events. It is a blind man finishing the 5K with his guide dog. This particular run was a fundraiser for the Utah Council of the Blind (titled "3 Blind Mice, See How They Run." Cute huh). Almost every race and fun run is a fundraiser for a nonprofit organization. So as an additional benefit to this obsession I had (have?), I have supported hundreds of great causes.
I love this season of my life where I am focusing on the FUN part of the fun run. Despite being more flabby than fit, I feel good about myself because I know my focus is on the most important aspect of this life - that wonderful guy in the picture with me and the little munchkin in the stroller.

7 comments:

me said...

I happened upon your blog and just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed this post. I too used to be a much faster runner before kids, and sometimes have a hard time with my new (much slower) pace. You are right though, it's now all about being a healthy mommy.

(and your little one is adorable!)

Lisa
www.workoutmommy.com

chelsea mckell said...

How crazy... i have NO idea who that first commenter is, nor how she came across my blog. I didn't even know it is possible to search through blogs randomly. Shows how much I pay attention..
But I went to her website - so cool! I'm adding a link on my blog.

Ashley said...

So fun, I have finished 4 5k's so far and am loving getting back into running. I have had random people post comments on my blog, kind of creepy. Good luck in the races!!!

Amy Hunter said...

Chelsea, I'm so impressed! I wish I could run like that, but the eliptcal machine is my best friend! I think it's great you have found such a fun and healthy passion.

Cassie said...

you are soo good to even want to run still after the baby!!! Good job!! I am getting pretty close now and can definitely tell, I am uncomfortable a ton now! I don't know when we will be in Spokane next. The baby comes at the end of June and Christmas will be in Seattle this year, so who knows!

doublej said...

thanks for sharing this sweet story. I am with you on recognizing the "seasons" of life. And loved the pictures that went along with your story-how sweet.

Chelsea and Cody said...

Chels, this was inspiring! I love it. I just want to read it every day!