Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Celebrity encounter


Dallin H. Oaks.... he's a good friend of ours. We go way back - we're tight.
Oaks asked if he could have a picture taken with B & b...
I said "sure, I guess so. But be quick, we have places to go, people to see...



Totally joking, of course. I had to do some serious maneuvering through the crowd to get to him for our pic.
Elder Oaks was a surprise guest at the semi-annual Filipino fireside. Brian and I always attend - it's each Sunday evening after General Conference. Brian likes to meet up with his mission buddies there. I like the authentic Filipino refreshments. Brianna likes crowds. So we were all happy.
Everyone was so surprised and delighted to have Elder Oaks there, along with his wife (who, BTW, is so pretty and so sweet! She's gotta be 20 years younger than him...) When they came into the cultural hall after the fireside, they were basically swarmed. But he put up with it so well! He let everyone take pictures and shake his hand... I would've gotten so annoyed, or at least claustrophobic. Brian and I decided to join the mob. Fortunately, it wasn't too hard to jockey through the Filipino crowd - we were bigger than most of them. I just got right up behind Elder Oaks, tapped his shoulder, and asked if he would stand in a pic with our baby! Yes, it was a brave moment for me. I was super nervous. Brian kept sayin "Chel, let's not do this...Chel, I don't know bout this...Chel, don't bug him..." But now he's the one showing everyone the photo we got.
I hesitated when titling this post using the word "celebrity"... it seems almost a demeaning insult or sacrilegious to title such an amazing man with the same title given to the likes of immoral Hollywoodites. But I looked up the dictionary definition of celebrity, and decided he fits: "the state or quality of being widely honored and acclaimed; A person of distinction or renown."
Excuse me now, I have to go. My friend Thomas is at the door. He brought Henry and Dieter with him!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

That is such a special picture, that is so neat that you got a picture with him. That is awesome!!