Thursday, May 1, 2008

tummytime success!




Confession: I have been a negligent mother.
As every baby-wise mommy knows, the AAP recommends infants spend at least twenty minutes a day lying in the prone position (aka "tummy time"). So - in my quest to be the consummate mother, I made my first attempt to help Brianna do this when she was a couple weeks old. Ten seconds later, she firmly let me know that she did not approve of being placed this way. Tried again the next week... and it resulted in escalating squawks again.
So I gave up.
I accepted that Brianna didnt like tummytime, would never learn to crawl, and would have a bald spot on the back of her head forever.
UNTIL I had a revelation. Actually, I just read some tips on babycenter.com (very helpful website, BTW. I visit it more often than Craigslist, which says a lot).
I am proud to report that - as you can see in the pictures - Brianna will now tolerate tummytime if she is propped up on the boppy pillow! So we do it everyday. She does her baby pushups, while I do my real ones. At this point, she can do more than I can... but just gimme a few more weeks....

4 comments:

Steven & Tiffany Martin said...

Tanner loved the boppy too! Its quite handy. She looks so inquisitive with her head all propped!

Ashley said...

So fun, that was what we did with Alli until she started staying on her tummy longer, now she has learned to roll right back off of it to her back, so we are down to hardly any tummy time at our house. Good luck with that!!

Malerie said...

Hmmm..some of those toys look strangely familiar! Yes, tummy time - Madeline hates it too. Although it's when she cries in protest that she does her best twisting and turning! It's hard not to give in. Maybe someday we can have a play date with Brianna! :)

Chelsea and Cody said...

Gosh she is getting cuter by the day!