Friday, May 30, 2008

i MADE a CAKE!

Yes, domestically challenged me, MADE a CAKE. Completely from scratch - even the frosting.
Needless to say, this was a first-time venture. Possible a last-time venture as well.
It took FOR-EV-ER. Seriously like 2 hours. Plus an incredible mess in my normally pristine kitchen (ha!)
But I really wanted to do it for Brians birthday. Not that he especially cared... honestly, I couldve picked up a cake at Smiths/Costco/Albertsons whatever and he wouldve been one happy bday boy. So this was more for me. A self-imposed challenge.

Like the little car on top? That was for my Enterprise car-man.
The cake turned out beautiful - both looking and tasting. Yes, I am bragging. Get over it.
The secret is to tweak almost everything the recipe says to do, then cross your fingers.
I will post the recipe here, as found here, then in parenthesis what I actually did. FYI, this was actually mild tweaking compared to what I usually do with recipes. Im not a color-inside-the-lines type person (in the kitchen, at least)
Makes 12 servings (ha! if you eat lil JennyCraig slices)
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes (20 hours)
TOTAL TIME: 1 3/4 hours (3 days)
EASE OF PREPARATION: Moderate (unless your name is Chelsea McKell)

1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup all-purpose flour (I dont have any in my house, and I certainly wasnt going to BUY any. I used all WW instead)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I used 3. I like cinnamon)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter (I used Smart Balance Omega)
1 large egg white
1 large egg, separated (this recipe is ridiculous. why use 2 eggs to get one yolk and one white? I just used 1 egg, separated)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (i have NO idea how I already had this in my spice rack. I know I didnt buy it. Mom??)
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided (I used turbinado sugar. Or yellow-D. Whatever that stuff at the health food store bin was. Maybe its healthier, maybe not...)
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas - 2 large ones
3 tablespoons canola oil (I used just one TB)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk (I used regular milk with lemon juice in it. Found that sub tip online)

Frosting: 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut chips or flaked coconut (I used sprinkles instead :)
12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Just used 8 oz. It made PLEN-TEEE)
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar (had no idea what this was. Found out its just powdered sugar. Didnt have any on hand, so I used splenda)
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract (didnt have any, used almond extract instead. 3/4 teaspoon)

1. To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray. Dust lightly with flour, shaking out the excess (I did NOT preheat the oven this early. It would have stayed on for over an hour! I preheated when I was nearly done. Gotta watch that utility bill).
2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
3. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling, until it turns a nutty brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. (SO annoyingly tedious. But I did it).
4. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar, increase speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff but not dry. This can take up to 5 minutes. (Try 15 minutes. Again, annoyingly tedious)
5. Combine the melted butter, egg yolk, remaining 1 cup sugar, bananas, oil and vanilla in a large bowl (and get ANOTHER bowl out and dirty?! HA! I just put it on with the dry ingredient bowl). With mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and buttermilk; beat until just blended. Beat in a heaping spoonful of the whites. Using a whisk, fold in the remaining whites. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
6. Bake the cake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert onto the racks and let cool completely.
7. To prepare frosting & assemble cake: Combine cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and coconut extract in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. (VERY VERY MESSY)
8. Frost the cake, using a little less than half the frosting between layers and the rest on the top. Garnish with toasted coconut. (as I said before - I used sprinkles instead. Its a BIRTHDAY cake. And I put a layer of thinly sliced bananas in between. Cool huh)
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 346 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 39 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrate; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 370 mg sodium. (blahblahblah... yeah, its loaded, I know.)

3 comments:

Chelsea and Cody said...

I am so PROUD! (Sorry it took a while...I must have somehow missed this post! You post a ton!) And I love it! Homemade cakes are killer...don't you feel like a better wife when you make it from scratch rather than a box?! I do! (Well, the one time that I did it I felt good anyway!)

Ashley said...

Hmmm...This looks like a good cake, I am not sure how I missed this post. I just might have to try making this.

Ashley said...

I especially love the car on top.