Friday, April 9, 2010

Easter

I'm not too into traditional Easter activities. My plan for the next couple decades is to let our kids hit one (not eight) local egg hunt then do some religiousy stuff and call it good. The whole giant bunny and junk-filled basket seem a little silly to me. This was Brianna's first Easter Egg Hunt:
I loved it because it was just with other two-year-olds and had a 12-egg limit. Notice in the group shots how all the girls are looking in different directions. Funny kids. The bottom right photo is Brianna and her friend Shaylee chasing after Sister Rudd, their nursery leader. She was awesome to put together this activity for the nursery-age kids at her home. Brianna kept trying to open her eggs before going to find more. It took awhile for her to catch onto the concept that she could open her eggs later, and that she needed to quickly add more to her stash. I feel a little lame that her basket isn't really cute. It's actually an office organizer I use for pens and such. Oh well - not like she cared! The photo below shows Brianna chasing after her Dad, who seemed to know exactly where the eggs were:
And he was quite the sneaky man, snatching eggs when he thought no one was watching:
Brianna was a little concerned that "the eggs dirty!"

We headed back home with a stroller full of eggs and a little girl ready for an Easter nap (just in time for the second conference session! It was nice to actually get to pay attention).

I used her eggs and basket for my Relief Society lesson the next week. The topic was The Holy Ghost, so I went through all the conference sessions and found each instance where a speaker spoke about the Holy Ghost or the Spirit. Then I copied that excerpt and put it inside an egg. During the RS lesson the ladies all took eggs and we had discussions about the attributes and role of the HG that we learned from the conference messages. I tried to make the point that the conference message we heard were the best Easter gift we could receive.
Yay for Easter.

1 comment:

The Gilson Girls said...

i just read a cool egg hunt idea that had the eggs filled with puzzle pieces instead of candy, so when the hunt was over the family did a puzzle, I thought that was a cool idea.
My kids don't get a candy basket either. I fill the basket with things I would have to buy this spring anyways.
Usually a new pair of sunglasses, this year a new soccer ball (since we had to provide our own for soccer) rain poncho and rain boots, latest Fancy Nancy books that the girls collect. etc. they don't miss the candy.
But the bunny plays tricks on them. he hides their "basket"--really a cloth bag. and ties string on it and the string is winded all over the house they have to unwind it all to find their basket!