Sunday, July 20, 2008

Brianna McKell, MPH (c)


For those who dont know, the (c) after MPH indicates "candidate" ie - one who is in-progress of completing the degree.
For those who really dont know, MPH stands for Master of Public Health.
Brianna is wearing the tshirt they sent me for filling out the graduate survey. I love filling out surveys, in general, but especially when there is a reward.
So my feelings about the program...
I learned lots of good stuff      (like that superb display of advanced vocabulary there).
The world of Public Health is truly fascinating. I mean - the social context of disease and health, featuring topics such as vaccinations, water fluoridation, public policies like seatbelt use and non-smoking laws, epidemiology  (who is peppy for epi?!), environmental/social/behavioral/occupational health... and my personal favorite, biostatistics  (jk - biostats is the only course that repeatedly frustrated me to tears)... what could be more enthralling?
In all honesty, it wasn't a waste of 2 years, though some may think that as I am now a SAHM and will likely never be employed in PH.
I met amazing people and gained invaluable experience and knowledge.
It wasnt a waste of tuition money either... I never paid any! Thank you, track and cross-country. I sometimes tell people I went to grad school just so I could finish my sports eligibility. Half-joking. 
Public Health has quite a noble cause - the goal is to improve lives through the prevention and treatment of disease.   
But my current job feels a tad nobler.

3 comments:

M and N Tenny said...

I am inspired by your post! Still haven't declared a major and that sounds like a FUN one!

chelsea mckell said...

I wouldnt say FUN (did you read the part about crying over Biostats? I wasnt kidding). But it was a great experience. If you do decide to apply for it, let me know... there are some "tricks" to getting accepted :)

Sister Audrey Frasier said...

Hi Chelsea. I must have been in la la land. I did not know you had a MPH. So does Shawn what a small world.

Love your blog!

Jill