Friday, October 11, 2013

JOSH GROBAN!


This is the coolest story.
Short version: I was caller #10 on the radio and won Josh Groban concert tickets!!! We had a great date night.
Detailed version:  I was coming home from visiting my 90 yr old Grandma. I spontaneously decided to bring her lunch on a Friday mid-day, which I've never done before - I usually just stop by once or twice a week briefly. But I bought some yummy soup from Smith's deli and pumpkin breadbowls and decided to just go for it (the risk being that, of course, I'd need to bring the twins, and she doesn't tolerate their typical kid behavior very well at all). But I brought the iPad and knew I could turn on PBS Kids, and that worked quite well to entertain them after they "finished" their lunch in typical 3-minute fashion.
Grandma told me several times how much she appreciated the visit and lunch. And of course mentioned that no one ever calls her or comes over (which isn't true at ALL - she gets visits and multiple phone calls every single day. But seems to easily forget those and quickly complain about lack of daily contact with other humans). So I left feeling quite good about my efforts to help Grandma. I also left in my car, which is rare. I always ride my bike to her house. But it was cold and rainy that day, so I was in the car. On the 4 minute drive home, I happened to turn on the radio. Not something I always do. To FM100.3, a station I don't always listen to. And at that exact moment I turned it on, I heard DJ Rebecca Cressman announce, "We've got some tickets for the Josh Groban concert! Be caller #10 now!"  And I thought.... Ugh, I never ever get thru when I try to call in for these things. Why bother. But the thought of seeing Josh Groban again live prompted me to at least try. His concert last year in SLC was incredible. Not enough for me to be willing to cough up the $$$ to buy tix again, but enough for me to make the effort to try and win.
When I dialed and it started ringing, I froze. I looked at the number, sure I'd dialed it wrong and would be accidentally calling someone with a similar number. Then Rebecca answered and said, "You're caller #10! Congratulations! Who am I talking to?"  And that's when I started a mini freak out...."I AM?!?! Are you SERIOUS?! I won?! I'm going to see Josh Groban?!! AHHHHHHHH!!!"  I also spilled the leftover soup I was carrying on my lap when my arm flung up in surprise. It's amazing how much I really didn't care about that at all. I was in a state of bliss that lasted for hours afterwards, as I called everyone  (meaning Brian, mom, dad, Gma, Lindsay, Mere. That's my "everyone") and told them the exciting news. Brian wasn't AS excited as I had hoped. Apparently he thinks attending Josh Groban concerts isn't MANLY. I informed him that if he wasn't excited about it, I could find a replacement for him, which would save us money on hiring a babysitter.  He decided to start being excited about it.
Interesting side story:  I called Lindsay and squealed, "GUESS WHAT JUST HAPPENED!"  And her response - "What, did you win something off the radio?"  And I just stopped dead. "Um. Yes. Yes I did. HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT?"  And she was like, "oh, wow, I'm right! What'dya win?" 
Apparently I have a psychic family member. But just her, because I made everyone else guess, and no one got it right. Everyone else guessed that I had gone into labor and had the baby. Which wouldn't make sense at ALL, because I wouldn't be excited about premature labor. Babies need those last few weeks of cooking time.
Anyway, so we got a babysitter (just barely - our planned babysitter double booked herself and wasn't home when I called to find out why she was 15 minutes late! panic attack! So I ran across the street and luckily the neighbor girl was available. She made DOUBLE hourly wage for being awesome enough to drop everything last minute and babysit for us!!).
Our seats were decent - not awesome, but good enough to notice that Josh's hair was very greasy and his pants were way too tight and he has a serious double chin (not that I should be talking. With how lazy I've been this pregnancy, I pretty much have a triple chin).
We also ended up sitting right next to our good friends, the Holts. That was way fun. But we also sat next to some dude who sung along loudly with Josh. That was not way fun.
I wish that Josh had played my 2 favorite songs of his, "Higher Window," and "Thankful"  (Look 'em up on YouTube - so beautiful). But I really can't complain. He is amazing. What incredible talent to be able to open your mouth and have such beautiful noise come out. Though this comes from a person who opens her mouth to sing and the sound of dying cats comes out  (seriously, I'm the worst singer on the planet. I would WIN worst singer contests, if they existed).
And that is the story of our lucky lucky Josh Groban date night! Glad we got one last big adventure in before baby comes in a couple weeks!

3 comments:

Ioana said...

What a fun story! The concert was great, his voice is amazing, but I do agree that his pants were way too tight! :)

Jordan and Crystal said...

SO FUN! I disagree with you not winning those kind of things! It seems like you win random contests things all the time. I need you to teach me your skillz! SO fun!

Hohmann Family said...

I'm shocked that Brian would think such a thing is un-manly!!! It most certainly is not if he is taking his beloved on a D.A.T.E.!!! That's tons of manly right there!