Saturday, October 19, 2013

Missing Maui

My Mom texted me this picture today. And I started crying. Bawling like a baby.
 
 
It's amazing how one little picture can make me SO happy and SO sad at the same time. So happy they're having this awesome adventure. So sad I'm not there with them. Regardless of how completely valid my reason for not attending the big Mother-Daughter-Maui-Trip is (wouldn't wanna go into labor on the beach... or would I?), it's just sad to miss this. My reaction to the photo really surprised me. And Brian. He didn't know how to handle me, cuz I don't do this. I'm not a crier. And I haven't hardly said a word about missing this trip for the past 9 months that I've known it was happening and known I would miss it. It honestly hasn't been that big of a deal to me. While a Maui trip with my mom and sister and sisters-in-law and their moms sounds absolutely amazing... the logistics would be crazy. Expensive of course, but that wouldn't have been too big of a deal. It would be the care of my 3 keiki. Brian's job isn't that flexible - he could only miss a day or two, or reduce hours a little and be way behind on his work. I'd have to find someone to take care of them. And that means either paying a lot of money and trusting someone fulltime, or dividing their time between kind friends, and owning those friends big time. All involve me missing my babies a LOT, and Brian needing to be 2 places at once. And I can't even imagine the night time scenes... Brian trying to get them all to bed, when so often they ONLY want ME at bedtime. I'm popular like that around here. It would break my heart if they were super sad and missing me while I was off playing on a tropical island. So really, part of me was glad that I had a perfect excuse to just skip the trip. And part of me - the part that had a meltdown at seeing this picture - is totally bummed.  Especially that the trip included a 5K fun run that I helped find and plan for over a year ago.  Sigh. No aloha for me.  Someday though! For sure! Because when Brianna saw me so sad, and I explained why, she said, "it's ok. I'm going to go to college in Hawaii just like you did and YOU will come WITH me just like Nonny came with YOU!" 
Love that girl!

1 comment:

Lemonpeel said...

Hahaha! I love this post so much because of how completely crazy preggo emotions are, and they hit completely without warning. Oh the weeping. I love Brianna, atta girl. She totally knows what to say. :)