Monday, October 21, 2013

Earning power

Brianna started off her day begging for candy. I informed her we didn't have any. She informed me the store a block away would have some. I informed her that cost money and she didn't have any and I wasn't going to spend mine on it. She asked how she could get some money.
Trapped. Dang it.
I don't want her having/buying candy. But I can't deny her opportunities to learn the value of working and earning and spending as she chooses. That's what my parents did for me at a young age.
So I directed her to an area of the backyard full of rocks and weeds. I want to make it a little garden area next Spring. I told her she could help me clear it. Brianna jumped at the opportunity! She spent nearly an hour out there and earned a dollar.
Here's the best part: we went to the store later that day and she got to choose what to spend her dollar on. I slyly directed her to the coloring/activity books first. She fell in love with a paper doll book.
Dollar spent!
Win!

1 comment:

Hohmann Family said...

I think this is great. I don't like my kids buying lots of candy either. Fortunately for me they tend toward the sugar free Trident gum. Happy.