Monday, September 15, 2008

Diaper-free

Since I made that post yesterday about diapers, I thought I should also share what has been on my mind lately: potty training.
I know - ridiculous - she is only 7 months old.
But this past week, I have talked to TWO friends who have successfully potty trained their infant, at least during daytime hours. One even showed me pictures of her 6 month old son sitting on an adult toilet, and told me of the catastrophe they had while camping because their baby would NOT go #2 anywhere but a toilet.
I have been researching the topic extensively. I had been told that children could not be potty trained til at least a year simply because their nervous systems are not developed enough yet to "hold it."
But after the anecdotal accounts I've heard, and websites like diaperfreebaby.com, I am wondering if that order from diapers.com could be my last.
?

9 comments:

Ashley said...

I would crack up if you potty train her, my mom keeps telling me that I should try to potty train Alli, she said that she saw it on t.v. and read about people potty training their babies. I will need to look it up on the internet, it seems funny to me to put them over the toliet, but I can't wait to see how Brianna progresses.

Julie said...

I will let you try it and then you can tell me all the tricks!! You know since your girl is older you get to do it all first... I like having you as my mentor!!

valmike said...

Eryn tells me when she's stinky and walks strange when she's wet. I am not ready for potty training, but honestly... I know it's coming soon! My biggest concern to you would be Brianna being able to tell you when it's time to go or going on command when on the potty.

Amy Hunter said...

I heard that's how they do it in Asian countries, so why not here?!?! I do think you are awfully brave, though! Good luck! It would be sooo nice not to have to buy diapers, eh?

Unknown said...

Ok so I have to put in my two cents. As a mother of a potty trained 3yr old. I have to say, potty trained is when the child says I need to go pee, then walks in to the bathroom does their business, wipes themselves, flushes, pulls their pants back up, washes their hands, and then goes about playing again, all without help. With a baby this cannot happen, and it just becomes even more work for the parent. Just my thoughts.

Melinda said...

I'm so excited to see your post! I have EC'd all three of my children and it's a gift to them and a gift to you! It's so interesting that you got excited about a great diaper deal and then realized that it really ISN'T the only option! I support you in trying it!

ChrisnDave said...

YEAHOOOOO, I'm so glad you're going to do it! And MILES AND RACHEL, the great thing about potty training an infant is that a) its no more work than changing nasty diapers and b) the idea is that the second they CAN walk/talk/pull up their own diapers, they WILL do it on their own - until that moment, I don't mind helping out a little bit.

ChrisnDave said...

PS Can I get the contact info for your friend who has EC'd three kids (Melinda)? I've got some questions for her!

chelsea mckell said...

Christi - I actually dont know who Melinda is. Random commenter, I guess. Melinda, if you read this, send me your contact info for my friend Christi!