Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Can canning



So lately I've had a few encounters with CANNING, which has launched me into deep introspection. I ponder: to can, or not to can? Can I can? Can I not can?
Ivy can can. Brianna can help her can, even as the one-sock wonder.

We canned apricots. Well, I basically just watched Ivy can apricots and enjoyed hanging out with my favorite Vernal friend. Her little girl Abi is great at entertaining "Bweeanna"
Then the following day, we went to Windys home (she is a VernalMOM - its quite an elite group) for a full-scale canning seminar. (That's where Brianna had her first toast)
After this immersion into the canning world, you would think I'd be raring to go.
Not so.
I'm overwhelmed.
It's too complicated.
I can't can. I simply cannot. Can you?

6 comments:

ChrisnDave said...

I can only can if someone else will can with me. I can't do craft projects by myself. That's why I want to live on a commune with other likeminded supa-cool moms. Or maybe at least when my kids are old enough to help, I'll do this kind of stuff with them.

Chelsea and Cody said...

I wish I could can.. I have absolutely no idea how, so I guess I Can't!
Nice background music, btw!

DeAnne said...

My mother in law is a hard core canner. They have spent countless hours peeling, boiling, blanching, cutting, and toiling over their fresh produce, to store it away for the winter months. She has tried to convert all of her daughter in laws, but in all honesty I'd rather go to the store to buy a can of green beans for .50 cents. I don't want to spend my entire summer over a hot stove. This topic really strikes a nerve with me so I better stop now. But to answer your question, yes, I can can...some things. However, I don't see myself being wholy converted any time soon. Best of luck to you!

valmike said...

Nope! Canning is way to much for me. I have ADD and can't pay attention to everything that goes along with canning. I make freezer jam. It's way easier and very tasty. Strawberry is the best! -VAL

chelsea mckell said...

Christi - can I please live on that commune too?! Seriously. SERIOUSLY. sounds wonderful. Especially if we can have it at some exotic remote location.

Mom - you are odd. Did you write that late at night?

Val - I agree - strawberry freezer jam is amazing! Better than icecream.

Ivy Lou said...

Chelsea,
You really probably could do it if I could give up complete control of anything. I am sorry. I am not a very good teacher, am I? We could try again. I am thinking of doing some raspberry jam. It's really, really easy!!! Wanna give it a shot?