Tuesday, April 19, 2011

New habits

We're two weeks into the Slim Down For Summer challenge on my friend Michelle's FunOnADime blog. It's going SO well! I love the motivation to improve my habits. I've earned full points every day, except for a few nights I didn't get at least 6 hours of sleep. I'll give you two guesses why.                  But the no-added-sugar and 8pm food curfew are awesome - I feel SO much better and healthier. And honestly - not deprived at all. The world is so full of yummily delicious foods that are good for you... it's not hard to cut out the crap once you get the right mindset going. Oh, and the fact that I'm COMPETING for PRIZES.... get ready for a "I WON THE CHALLENGE" post 6 weeks from now! Nothing like a little extrinsic motivation to keep ya going.
This week's "bonus point" opportunity was to simply do something fun and new with your kids/family. So I let the nanny and butler have a few days off, told Dora adios, and tried to do something more creative than just go to the park (lately our second home on these warmish Spring days).
Then I remembered I have no creative bones in my body.
So we settled for the "new" part and ventured out on a walk, stopping whenever Brianna saw something she wanted to do. Like balance-walk on a rock wall:
And  run around the playhouse at McDonalds.  (is it trashy to use their equipment without buying anything?? I don't want Brianna to find out that food is available there!)
And stop and stare at the guy from Liberty Tax getting paid to stand outside and wave around that sign. Now THAT would be my dream job.  (so sarcastic. It looks like mind numbing torture)

We also made a dozen home videos with my fake-Flip camera (cheap knockoff from Dell, but it works well enough!) and then I let the kids watch them. They all looooove to watch videos of themselves. Vain, vain children...

And finger paint... with q-tips.  Somehow our finger paints lost their thick consistency and got watery. So instead of paint brushes that I'd have to clean (because heaven knows I already have enough things to clean), we just use CHEAP q-tips... the ones that are $3 for 1000 of them. We'll re-use them a couple times but then just toss.
And I think we did some other new, fun activities.... but I have no more pictures, and I can't even remember what happened 5 minutes ago, so I won't try to conjure up memories from the week.
Honestly - seriously honestly - I'm just glad at the end of the day that we all are alive and well. That seems like a big accomplishment to me some days.

2 comments:

Natalia said...

I'm impressed with all of your new fun activities.

Michelle {Fun On a Dime} said...

Look at you, Fun Lady! You did a lot last week and everyone looks like they are enjoying it!