Sunday, June 8, 2008

Rhubarb baby

Does anyone else have a strong endearment to rhubarb, or is it just me?
I guess it is one of those childhood nostalgic attachments. Growing up in Washington, my Dad grew tons of rhubarb. Then my mom would make delicious strawberry rhubarb pies with it. Real fam favorite. My mom would even let my sister and I make our own individual mini-pies with the scraps from her homemade pie crust. We would go pick the strawberries and rhubarb from the garden ourselves.
But objectively speaking, rhubarb is ridiculous. Ever tasted it fresh? Bitter and nasty. You have to dump tons of sugar on it to make it palatable. So whats the point?! Also, those leaves Brianna is sitting on are toxic (yes, we are such responsible parents).
I found a website dedicated to rhubarb recipes
So there are obviously others in this world who share the affinity for rhubarb.
Thus despite the absurdity and inanity of this vegetable, we grow it. Why? Because I get warm fuzzies seeing it grow.

5 comments:

valmike said...

My Grandma grew tons of it in Michigan. I loved to go and pick it and eat it fresh! (After awhile you get used to the crappy taste!) Yes, people do care about hockey Brian. People who are from Detroit! -VAL

Debbie said...

You said that you remembered your Dad picking a piece of rhubarb and chewing on it (on phone). I said, "no way!" Well, I am corrected - Dad said, "Oh yea, I've done that".

Chelsea and Cody said...

I had a Rhubarb crisp not too long ago...AMAZING! I will have to check out that blog...thanks! miss you!

jocelyn said...

Ask your Mom if she remembers how many times she made strawberry rhubarb crisp the summer we lived with them!

Amy Hunter said...

I LOVE rhubarb too. Yes, we have a plant as well. So far, no poisonings! I love strawberry rhubarb freezer jam!