Tuesday, July 17, 2012

RegretfuLLLy


Is it ok if I post more Lactation-Helper stories?  Is it boring? or TMI?  Nothing flares up the Mommy Wars like a good breastfeeding conversation.  But being a La Leche League Leader, it's a huge part of my life. I spend hours and hours answering calls, emails, leading group meetings, studying and researching Lactation as an academic subject....
I need a place to unload!
We'll see how this goes. Maybe I'll have to start a private blog for these stories, like I did for my running stuff, so I don't clog up the BCBCB blog.
Ok, tonight's story: I got a call tonight that made my heart and head hurt.  A mom calling asking for weaning tips for her 3 month old baby who is severely allergic to milk and soy proteins. Mom prefers to put baby on expensive hypoallergenic formula than eliminate dairy & soy from her own diet. There's even a drug she can take to break down the proteins and still eat those things in moderation. But she just didn't want to. I was polite and gentle in my suggestions - not wanting to give a bad impression of LLL. We're here to help mothers who want to breastfeed. That's in the Mission Statement. But this one didn't want to. So I gave her the weaning tips she called for.  But I DIED inside, thinking of the dozens of mothers I've helped who would've traded places with her in a second - desperate and crying for help with their various problems. They'd live off beans and rice for the rest of their LIVES if it meant they could give their child that tremendous gift of a biologically normal start.  I imagine this is somewhat like working in a Fertility Clinic and an Abortion Clinic.  Having to watch one mother throw away what another mother desperately wants.  
I hate to sound judgmental, because I know every mother's situation is different and I can't begin to understand the whole picture of her circumstances. And I honestly don't think poorly of her or any other mother who makes similar choices. I just believe they don't fully understand the decision they're making, the long term consequences, and what they're taking away from themselves and their child.  It's like those who slam the door on missionaries or refuse to accept the Gospel - they don't completely understand what they're doing and the repercussions of it.
Stepping off my soapbox now.  :)

5 comments:

Sally Jackson said...

Oh I SO know that feeling of desperation for wanting someone to do the right thing but knowing they won't. It's hard to not get emotionally involved! As far as TMI, be careful how much info you put on your public blog. As LLL Leaders we promise to keep Mom's stories and names confidential. If a breastfeeding Mom found her story on a Leaders blog, she could be very offended, feel violated, or maybe even sue! (last ones not likely, but ya never know) Just be aware if the fine line that can be crossed. aloha

Sally Jackson said...

I meant Be aware of the fine line that could be crossed if your not careful. I would find out what other Leaders do on their blogs. I know I am careful only to share positive stories, with the Mom's permission. Good luck

Malerie said...

It' so cool that you get to be part of LLL. You'll be great at it. That sounds like a hard situation, especially since you're so passionate about it and of course know all of the benefits of making it work. It sounds like you handled it very gracefully. Good luck!

Unknown said...

I've been in those shoes, but I went off dairy and soy and still breastfeed. HOw sad that she can't give up a few things for 6 months (most babies grow out of the intolerance at 9 months).

I like your stories, keep sharing, its great that people can come to you for help and advice!

Hohmann Family said...

I wish I could've breastfed longer. Unfortunately, the longest I made it was 4 months. For my circumstances, I had to be okay with it - 'cause it wasn't going to change. But feeling your positive vibes gives me hope and renewed determination to do it again!