Monday, November 3, 2008

2008 Prez Election

Since this is a major historical event (or so we're told), I better blog my thoughts on the whole circus.
Though to be honest, I really don't care too much about it.
But I may win the award for being the most-informed, least-caring registered voter in this greatest nation on God's green earth (ten points for whomever can name that quote origination).

See... being a SAHM, I would hear a lot of silence if I didn't have the radio and/or TV on in the background. So I do. All day. I listen to Rush Limbaugh (the Hitler of Conservatives), Sean Hannity, Michael Medved, Dr. Laura... and to balance it out, I watch CNN, MSNBC, and SNL (while hilarious, they really are left-biased).
So I feel well-informed. Maybe over-informed.

I'm going to my polling location tomorrow (the fabulous Western Park Fairgrounds in Vernal) and amazingly... I'm still undecided.

Do I vote for Dumb or Dumber?

Why vote at all? I live in Utah, so my vote is essentially insignificant....

I'll tell you why!

1) Because if everyone had that same lame attitude, Utah might turn blue. Then we'd all go down in flames of hellfire and brimstone.

2) As a female, I feel I owe it to the many women who sacrificed so much to get us the right to vote. Ever read about Alice Paul? Lucy Burns? Remember, it was not until 1920 that women were granted the right to vote. These women were innocent and defenseless, but they were jailed nonetheless for picketing the White House carrying signs. By the end of the night, they were barely alive. Forty prison guards wielding clubs and their warden's blessing went on a rampage against the 33 women wrongly convicted of 'obstructing sidewalk traffic.' Now I'm a far cry from a bra-burning feminist, but I admire these women and feel like the best way to thank them is to VOTE.

3) Last but definitely not least, the leaders of our church direct us to study out the issues and vote according to our conscience. They did not say to stay home if you don't like either candidate.

So you're wondering - did she choose dumb or dumber?
Asking someone who they voted for is unfortunately, in our society, on the no-no list, just like asking how much money you make or how much you weigh.

I think that's ridiculous. We should all stop being so ultra-sensitive and just be open books.

I elected to do as the prophet says - vote my conscience.

Since I can't endorse either of these slanderous arrogant power-hungry men (especially senator redistribution), I will likely choose to write in the one guy we can all always count on:

13 comments:

Amy Hunter said...

I thought we were voting for Brian!

Chelsea, you should seriously think about writing for a career. You have such a gift for expressing yourself. I was touched by your blog, as I usually am by all that you write. I was actually debating whether or not to go out and vote tomorrow (a pain when I have to get a babysitter, etc) and I told myself that I had too because if my children ever ask me who I voted for I would be ashamed to say that I didn't because I thought it wouldn't matter. Thanks for the extra boost to get me there.

valmike said...

You could write Brian in. I am sure that 2 votes would be enough to win it and then you wouldn't have to live in Vernal anymore! -VAL

chelsea mckell said...

Amy - you are way too sweet. Stop it - or I'll get a big head (which would be totally counterproductive to my weightloss goals). Wish i was there to come over and babysit while you go vote!

Val - actually, it would just be one vote for Brian. He didn't register in time! I only reminded him once - I have a personal rule that I won't nag him. If he doesn't get things done, or forgets things... oh well! So that's why I can't vote for him for Prez. I'm pretty sure there's a rule that candidates must be registered voters themselves.

Melese & Kyle said...

Yay for voting! I agree - voting is great especially when you've studied up on the candidates. I've never read more about the two candidates or felt so strongly about casting my vote. It's great to know we live in such a wonderful country of freedom where we the people are given the great gift of choosing who will govern our country. How awesome is that?? I do get quite muddled and frustrated with the whole party issue sometimes, and although I know they are necessary sometimes they seem to do so much damage to our country's unity. Hmmm, oh well, sorry this is such a novel - darn politics always get me gabbing =)

Crystal and Jordan said...

way to be a voter. That is a funny dumb and dumber thing...Don't worry i watch the news all day. I love your new background.

Mandy said...

I voted . . . AND I took the girls (4 year old twins) with me!! It was interesting, but I am glad that I did it, even if I really do feel like it wouldn't have made a difference either way!!

mmm... said...

this was great chelsea. very funny and insightful.

Julie said...

So I just barely saw your "dumb and dumber" pic - haha....I was thinking it would be the other way around..lol! Too late now though....I agree with the whole social "secrets" that you are suppose to keep secret....LAME....Expect for the weight thing...haha....maybe one day I will tell...LOL!!!

Allison said...

i emailed that photo to my husband and father in law

rouskafamily said...

Hey, so happy you found me. I in turn will now stalk you but more. Heee Heee!!

According to your list of friends on your blog, you pretty much know everybody and you should have ran for President. I am sure you are a better pick.

The wig is a fun tool for us. We had a lot of people kinda just look at us and look away quickly thinking Bryan was with somebody else, it was comical to see their faces after they realized it was me. Good Times!!

Keep on keepin on

Debbie said...

Chelsea, that was very well expressed - maybe YOU'D like to run for something. OH - you did! You still do! Just keep running, just keep running...

Sam and Melissa said...

Hey Chelsea! This is Melissa Flake (now Bates)!!!! I am so excited I found your blog! How are things, I can't believe you have a baby! Well I just made a blog it is: http://samandmelissabates.blogspot.com .... I am living in Ogden while Sam goes to Weber. I can't believe we both ended up in Utah. Well let me know how things are, Melissa

Chelsea and Cody said...

I don't think that I know Melissa...give me a link to her blog. SHe is probably just a stalker! Ha! Like me! I do it constantly!