Thursday, February 6, 2014

Beet juice birthday cake

We had planned to purchase Brianna's birthday cake from a gal in Clearfield who has a bakery biz. I like supporting local moms. And she was giving me a great deal, plus customizing it for Brianna. I was pretty stoked. But then she cancelled on us just a couple days ago for a fam emergency. So sad! Which meant I had 2 choices: a boring chemical filled mass produced load of sugar from Costco/Smiths, or make it ourselves.
Homemade sounded daunting, but we dove in and made it happen!

The pink comes from beets - I just ground up half of one along with the eggs in the vitamix (a little goes a LONG way!!)
It tasted great and was a hit with everyone - kids and parents!
The cake itself is a whole wheat flour base - ground from white wheat (I've learned that red wheat will turn out far more dense). The chapsticks (Lipsmackers) around the cake are the party favors.
It was worth all the effort to see how delighted Brianna was. I love my little 6 year old!

No comments: