Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Neighbor house fire

Friday evening as we were in the backyard cleaning up after the BC Twins Birthday Luau, we noticed smoke coming from the house across the park from us. We went over - I told Brian to RUN - and good thing....they had just gotten home a minute before and discovered a fire in their attic! We helped them frantically get as much valuables out of the house before the fire department arrived.  Meredith and I were loading up pictures,  electronics, wall hangings, etc and throwing them out onto the lawn. Other neighbors started to come out to help. Over the next couple hours we watched their home burn and the fire fighters do their jobs....including chainsaw into the roof, smash all the windows, use their massive powerful hoses...it was horrifying.  And tragic for the Jensen family. I can't imagine how distraught I'd be watching my home burn.
I had Lincoln and McKay with me and they were pretty fascinated.  
It's a good reminder for me to have my house in order! Photos backed up online, 72 hr kit ready, etc. And I'm buying 2 more big fire extinguishers.
I guess I can check "run into a burning building" off my list! 

No comments: