Sunday, October 18, 2015

Thanks!

Why do so many people have trouble truly accepting compliments? (me included sometimes, though I've been consciously working on it). 
If someone says, "you did so great today [on whatever]" knee jerk response is, "oh thanks, wish I did better." Someone says, "cute dress!" ..."oh I've had this old thing for years"....  
It's like it's some attempt at a #humblebrag to not graciously accept the compliment. 
Someone I know always responds to compliments with, "oh, that's nice of you to say'" - with an obvious disdain in her voice indicating she disagrees.  
Why not just respond with a sincere "Thank you!" ?!
I'm working on it - in large part simply because it's really awkward and unkind to the compliment-er to do anything other than accept!  
And there's my soapbox for the day [drops mic]

No comments: