Friday, April 12, 2013

Pink friends


Brianna got to do one of her mostest favoritest activities today - a birthday party. Her cute little friend Ella, from her preschool class, turned 5. 
Her mom is the adorable-party-thrower type, so everything was perfectly tied to the PINK theme... the invites, decoration, treats (even pink bread for the mini sandwiches!), party favors, games, etc. And 8 little girls all dressed totally pink. 
Proudly embracing femininity. 
The only problem with these parties is that it sets an expectation that sadly Brianna will likely not get to experience. 
Cuz throwing something like this, while fun to send my child off to, sounds so maddeningly time consuming and ridiculous to me. 
I'm going to be the parent that says, "Ok, for your birthday, you can choose 2 friends and we'll all go skiing." Things like that. 

 I hope she'll take that bait.







Post-party, we hung out at the community volleyball pit/beachy sand pit.
For 2 entire hours.
My phone died, so I didn't even get to do anything productive.
I just laid there on the grass, soaking up the much needed sun, watching my little ruffians do what kids are meant to do.

Lovely lazy afternoon.
(Which I paid for later - scrambling to get a bazillion emails and phone calls squeezed in before Friday work hours ended. I failed. I suck at this whole "working" thing).

2 comments:

Malerie said...

Yeah, I'm not a big birthday party thrower either. Maybe on certain birthdays, but I honestly don't know how people do it every year. This year, Madeline actually had something besides a family party and got to choose a friend to go do something fun. Our poor deprived kids. :)

Hohmann Family said...

I'm the same way with parties, but especially cakes. I feel woefully inept when it comes to cakes! I grew up in a family that gave you a frosted 9x13 with candles on top - that was it. I'm only doing friend birthdays at certain ages (5, 8, 12, & 16). That way I don't have to worry about it every year. But it also means that I stress over it for two months beforehand if it is one of THOSE years.