Monday, February 25, 2013

To Girl Scout or Not to Girl Scout....

Last weekend we went to a fundraiser for my friend's daughter's troop. A babysitting night! So great. $25 bucks for all 3 to do crafts, games, dinner, etc with a bunch of cute 12 yr old scouts. Brian and I enjoyed our first temple trip together in a really long time. First trip to the S. Jordan temple too!

They told me Brianna can start GS next year! Daisy Scouts!
Kinda blows my mind that my baby is almost ready for that.
If we want to do it.
I want to be very selective with extracurriculars.  Sports and music take first priority in my mind.
And I detest the idea of peddling those cookies every year.
Also, Brian thinks Girl Scouts are more likely to be lesbians. Totally logical.

So we'll see if Brianna gets to don that cute uniform someday and do the little pledge I remember reciting for many years during my time as a Girl Scout.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I was a girl scout until I graduated from high school (yes, I'm one of THOSE...maybe that's why I'm still single?? haha) and I loved it. When I was really young it didn't take much time, but it was really great when I got older - lots of leadership opportunities and learning how to teach the younger girls etc. I hated selling cookies too, but hey, we sold enough cookies to go on several trips, including two trips to Disney World (one of which involved a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas) so...cookies have their perks :) It also provided a nice balance with YW when I got older - one night a week we learned we could do anything (girl scouts) the other night we learned how to sew/take care of our future families (sighhhhhhh :)) I say go for it!

Natalia said...

I did girl scouts for about 1 year when I was 7 or 8. I got to go to girl scout camp AND sell the cookies. To be honest, cookie selling was easy for me at the time because we lived at Wymount Terrace in Provo and door to door in apartments is a breeze (as it trick-or-treating). It was the delivering of the cookies when the orders came in that was annoying. After that year, my troop leader had a baby and quit. No one else took over and the troop disbanded. But it was fun while it lasted.

Megan Smith said...

Jill is a big supporter of girl scouts if I remember right. I was Annalee's Daisy troop leader for two years and loved it but I agree, cookies are a pain. Try having a garage full of cookies and young kids who keep breaking into the boxes. We bought a lot of cookies that first year :) --Meg