Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I kindof live for moments like this....

I just realized with a post title like that, I should be talking about something precious my children did/said. Or a snuggle moment or something.
But I'm actually referring to an email I just received from a Grandma who called me, as a La Leche League Leader, for help for her daughter and 2 day old baby. Normally we like to talk to the MOM, not relay info through any third party, even a husband. But the mom wasn't available, so I had a brief conversation with Grandma about the problem, offered some suggestions, emailed info and diagrams showing some specific techniques, then didn't hear from them again.  Which I always try to assume is a good thing, though it could also mean they gave up and don't want to talk to me anymore.  But today I got this:  "Chelsea,Thank you so much for your time and resources. We had been trying to pump, but did manual expression as you suggested and stopped the pacifier use.  We fed baby the expressed milk with an eyedropper, at the breast, instead of the bottle.  It was a rough couple days and a lot of prayers, but now it's clicked and she's a great nurser!  I think you were right and the skin-to-skin helped the milk come in more. We appreciate your time and advice so much!  Sincerely,  Happy Grandma and even happier [mom's name] and baby :)" 

Annnddd.... now I shall enjoy the "lactation helper's high" for the rest of the day :) This is the best volunteer-gig ever.

Because I like to include a picture with every post, here's one.  My first reaction to seeing this and reading the story behind the trans-dude "breastfeeding" was the same that much of America gave to the cover of the TIME mag with the mom nursing her 4 yr old.  "Umm, NO.  [shaking head] Mm-mmm. No. Nope."  But of course, I'm totally on Team Normal-Nursing-Duration, and see nothing wrong and everything right with the concept behind the (awkwardly posed) TIME photo. So I can't be one to judge the right/wrongness of THIS guy.  He's likely motivated by love and desire to give what's best and "normal" (ironically) to the baby. It's definitely NOT the plan. But since I can't do anything but blog about it.....let's focus on that fact that he got Dr. Jack Newman as his lactation helper! Lucky wannabe-mom-dude!  If only I could have Newman's skillz, I could easily fulfill my dream of becoming a bonafide IBCLC.

1 comment:

Hohmann Family said...

So glad you get emails like that every once in a while to know you are helping people out. As for the photo - I'm a little weirded out. But hey, like you said, it's not part of the plan, so I don't have to feel comfortable with it, eh?