Sunday, August 22, 2010

Photos from week one

I really wanna make this post better... organize/edit the pictures, make collages, write captions, add stories... but I really wanna sleep too. Like a fat kid wants cake.
So in all it's disorganizedness - I present our first week home, in pictures:
 
Ok, I lied. A few words:
Big hugemungous thankyou to my mom. These photos do not show even a fraction of the fun and helpful things she did while here. She created "activity bins" for Brianna. There are 8 of them, organized and labeled, each with all the supplies needed for projects like finger painting, watercoloring, sticker pictures, playdough, etc. Mom read to Brianna endlessly. She took her to parks and to the beach. She helped her eat healthy meals. She did her hair and got her dressed everyday. She took her on nature walks and shopping trips. She put up with all her tantrums and 2-yr-old demands with perfect patience and none of that typical grandparent-spoiling junk. My mom really should teach the Love & Logic parenting program courses.
When she wasn't with Brianna, she was holding babies, changing diapers, bringing me water and food, helping me cope with all the pain I was in those first few days, taking pictures, doing errands for me...
I owe her more than I could ever repay. 





























I realize a few of the photos do need explanation. The one with Brianna crying next to the Bumbo by Brian's legs: She was upset because Brian put the baby in the Bumbo, when SHE wanted to do it. Add that to her list of irrational tantrum causes. The photos with the big blue boppy pillow - that's my special EZ-2-Nurse Twins pillow. Lovelovelove it. Anyone who ever has twins must own one. I'd get this before buying diapers or clothes or baby shampoo. The other brightly colored boppy in several photo was given to me by our sweet Alabamian neighbor Debra. I use that for nursing just one, but mostly for the babes to nap on. Another photo has Bennett being held up next to a figure underneath a white blanket. That's Brianna. She was playing peekabo with him. Very sweet. Photo of me on the computer (our new eMac desktop - I really like it!) - it was the first time Brian saw me carrying the babies in a sling and multitasking. He thought it was the coolest thing ever and wanted a picture. I look annoyed - I'm not. Just trying to get the delivery-day post done  (been working on it foreevvvvveerrr... in small increments... like everything else I try to get done these days!)   The plantains:  mom made those for us.  A-MAZ-ING.  Bathtub photo of Brianna:  I know, not twin related. But I still have to remember my firstborn, right? I thought she looked cute playing with her tub toys. The two photos with Courtney wearing a zillion headbands and bows:  Brianna's having fun with her baby sister. Too much fun. We have to monitor her closely and explain the importance of allowing the baby breathing room.
















































































I'd like to say week one was fun... but I'm mostly just glad it's DONE.

11 comments:

Natalia said...

Wow, you are amazing. And how great to have such a good mom to help you for a little bit :) I feel like I always say the same thing, but your kids are just so cute!

Malerie said...

1. I'm so glad your mom was there. Seriously, what would we do without moms? And i know the feeling of never being able to repay them...
2. Those babies are adorable! Bennet looks all boy and is so handsome and Courtney looks like a total darling girl!
3. I forget how tiny babies come. Brianna looks so big next to them! I love the ones of her holding them.

I'm totally impressed you're staying updated on the blog. You are one amazing girl!

Julie said...

moms are amazing! so glad we are mom's and sooo sooo glad our moms come to our rescue! phew! love the pic's!

Unknown said...

Your mom is awesome and gorgeous and so are you and your babies! It's so amazing to see your family!

Unknown said...

Yay for Grandma's!!!

You rock! I am not surprised though at how well updated you keep your blog. I would and probably will trade blog/facebook time for sleep once my tiny, little ONE baby comes! You totally deserve some gold stars for this!

PS. I lovelovelove the pictures of the Bennett trying to "kiss" his sister! Make sure you show him them when he starts telling you how much he "hates" or can't stand her!

Ashley said...

I love these pictures, those two babies are really cute. I like all the sleeping pictures, there is nothing sweeter than a sleeping newborn.

Debbie said...

That really was an amazing experience for me..."the Nonny". Thanks for "letting" me come. Taking counsel from a country song...guess that is why I have enjoyed country music - so many of life's lessons offered up in a line or two - especially when needing to understand "the cheatin'", "drinkin", and "dog next door" (jk, kinda) Anyway, Kenny Rogers had a popular song that included this sage advice..."you gotta know when to hold 'um, know when to fold 'um" - translated, "you gotta know when to come and know when to go" I like the Nanny McPhee movies!

Ash said...

I just keep thinking having twins must be like losing both arms. I'm glad you've found some props and slings that help! Keep up the good work.

Brandon and Kim said...

Once again, you are amazing and such an inspiration to others and me. You give your kids everything and all the love in the world and what a blessing that is to have those sweet spirits in your home. Maybe we will all be in a place where we can all get together again at a 10 year high school reunion or something. Hopefully sooner, but all of our lives are so busy with these little ones, especially yours now ;)

Tommy & Britt Schlosser said...

Another Congrats! Super cute babies! Love the brother kissing sister pics!

Jen said...

You do have a great mom and a beautiful family! Congrats!