Saturday, September 16, 2017

Running to Chicago to visit an old friend

Right before we left to catch our flight, I quickly went down to the recesses of our basement for a last minute hail-mary search through boxes I haven't touched in yeeeeears to see if I might by chance find something to give or show Jeremy.
Hit the JACKPOT!
This poster was at the bottom - I barely remember ever seeing it myself, let alone putting it in the small box of BYUH running memorabilia I have.
For a moment I selfishly thought... no, *I* want this poster, I don't want to give it away, I'd never be able to get another copy! It's 13 years old! My kids would love to have this!
But reality check - it's been sitting in the box for  years.
And would've kept sitting there for more years. Obviously didn't care about it too much and wouldn't miss it if it were gone.
On the other hand, it had the potential of making the other person in this poster - a guy who has, is, and will go through one of the worst trials I can ever imagine - it has the potential of making him so happy. Of reminding him who he REALLY is - a strong warrior, not just a 30-something losing his body to ALS disease. So I found a giant envelope to protect it and packed it away in my suitcase. I took a picture of the poster so I can print a copy later if I want to. Probably not quite as big as the original, but that's ok. Small sacrifice to make an old friend happy.

No comments: