Wednesday, February 10, 2016

BRIANNA'S BAPTISM WEEKEND!

A few months ago it hit me: ohmyword. I have a child turning 8. EIGHT! Baptism time! AHHHHH!
When we've attended other baptisms - especially of children vs adults - I've had fleeting thoughts of, "wow, it will be really awesome when we get to do this with OUR children."  But that just seemed so far off in the future. Because all my kids are just little babies, right?! They're never ACTUALLY going to grow up into big kids and do anything besides cuddle and play with me all day.
But apparently they really do grow up. Bummer.
Oh well - enjoy the journey, right?!
And we definitely enjoyed this big milestone day!!
For Christmas, we sent Brian's parents and Brianna's cousin Alli airplane tickets to come to the baptism weekend.  I know - not exactly the usual holiday gift. But what better to splurge on than family time and making great memories?!  
As it turns out, we probably wouldn't have had them there if we didn't do this, since Kent was in the hospital just days before. 
But he fought through the pain and made it on the plane! Brianna is so blessed to have wonderful Grandparents. And fantastic cousins!! Alli is a sweetheart. I'm so glad they are close and hopefully will continue to be throughout their lives. I had a cousin BFF growing up - Sara - and it was fun visiting each other and writing letters.
So baptism day - I thought I'd be an emotional mess. Just THINKING about Brianna being baptized by her father got me all choked up. 
But the anxiousness and to-do list of the day kept my mind focused and busy enough that I held it together and only cried a little during the opening song. Heck, I was so distracted that I didn't even freak out that much during the incident where we accidentally left Charity at Nonny and Papa's. Mother of the year award, right here!!  Oye.   
AND - I forgot to bring towels for her!  AND - my temple cookies were hideous! (albeit quite tasty and relatively healthy... that's what really matters, right?!

In the end... the only thing that REALLY matters is that Brianna has followed the example of our Savior Jesus Christ and chosen to be baptized into His church, by one who has Priesthood authority from our Heavenly Father to perform that ordinance. 
It's such a blessing and joy to have the knowledge of the Gospel and the Plan of Salvation.

I hope she will remember this day, and use the Gift of the Holy Ghost she received after baptism to guide her in every choice she makes.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This was such a special weekend! I love the picture of my dad holding Charity and I love that it was so much fun! Alli wrote a thank you note a while back that I need to mail. I hope that she and Brianna can always stay close :) You are a great mom!