Wednesday, April 23, 2014

LLL Love

I'm just barely getting off my Lactation Helper's High. Last night was awesome - I got to help teach our semi-annual Breastfeeding Twins class at LDS Hospital. We've been doing this for a couple years, and it's been fantastic. And by fantastic - I mean crazy. Just crazy. Some women show up with their itty bitty newborn twins, and need triage care ASAP. Some show up in a daze, having just discovered they're pregnant with twins. They may or may not be happy about that. Some show up with their husbands, who have a grumpy I-don't-wanna-be-here glare. Some women show up with that look themselves. It's such a tricky balance leading a discussion that emphasizes the facts while presenting them with tact. Oftentimes people are easily offended, especially with breastfeeding being a sensitive topic for some. But I hope we drove home the SOCO that LLL is here to help families with THEIR breastfeeding goals, whatever those may be. We provide support and information. We genuinely want to help those who WANT help. And I get an overwhelming happiness from the times I'm able to do that. It makes up for all the times I come short of providing the help needed.... because I still have so much to learn! I'm looking forward to checking out LLL of Spokane and seeing if there is a place there where I can serve. (But not right away - gotta get settled in and buy a home first :)

1 comment:

Chelsea and Cody said...

Awesome. I bet they all loved it! and you:)