Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Barbie debate

I always planned to definitelydefinitely keep Barbie dolls out of my house. Not that they're the devil, but simply because there are far better toys to play with.
However, just today, Brianna discovered my stash of old Barbies - complete with their antique travel case and full wardrobe - in the shadows of my parents' basement. And she fell in love. 
She spent the whole morning playing with them, taking Lily and Courtney along for the ride, of course.
Bennett - pictured face down on the bed - did NOT approve. He wanted them to play tag with him and they refused of course. Funny how he naturally rejects their girly toys. I don't encourage or discourage his involvement with stereotypical feminine fun.
He's just - as much as I disdain this cliche - "ALL BOY."
Anyway, so the girls love the Barbies... and Brianna is begging to take the stash back to Bountiful with us next week. I'd be more content to let those big-boobed tiny-waisted high-heeled bimbos continue to sit and rot in the basement for another 20 years. But maybe I'm being too dramatic and over-thinking this? Will playing with Barbies really turn my daughters into superficial materialistic divas with body image issues and unrealistic standards of beauty?!  Or are they just being little girls, playing instinctively and happily with dolls...
I think body image has less to do with "the media" and "toys" and more to do with what SHOULD be the prevalent influences in a child's life - their parents, home life, family, etc. So many like to blame these outside influences, instead of looking at how their own behavior and choices affect their child.  For example, when I hear Brianna say, "look at my Barbie, she's so beautiful!" I can choose to ask, "why is she beautiful?" and help coach her into, "she's beautiful because she's kind to others and strong and makes good choices and always tries her very best." Stuff like that. The good brainwashing. 
I do NOT want to be one of those uptight feminists. And I definitely don't want my daughters to be that way. I see those women as perpetually unhappy. And what is most every parent's goal? To see their children grow up to be truly happy. 
So while you'll never see me at Toys R Us buying the latest greatest Barbie.... these little nostalgic dolls and their antique wooden travel case might find a place in on our van on the way home  (after I go through and discard some of their most atrocious fashion pieces. Those 80's tube top dresses are where I definitely draw the line!)

1 comment:

Jordan and Crystal said...

ha ha. Are you sure your barbie collection isn't as precious as your pez collection??? Just leave them at grandmas and tell her they are special toys that we get to play with at Grandma's house. I agree there are so many better toys out there. I don't want to do barbies either. They just look so fake and gross. Cuter dolls and things now. I gave all my barbies but the kids do play with some at Grandmas house which is fine to me. good luck whatever you decide.