Friday, May 3, 2013

The school debate...

Choosing a school for Brianna is one of those topics that overwhelms me so much that I have to immediately stop thinking about it as soon as the thought surfaces.
It's one of those tricky balances, where I have to figure out what's BEST for her, what's BEST for the fam, what makes the most sense.... and then a lot of it is pure GAMBLE, because I don't have a crystal ball to see what a year in a certain educational setting will do for her.
The way I see it (and this is without doing as much research as I should), I have 4 choices:
-Homeschool. Honestly, I believe homeschooling moms are the most unselfish mothers out there. They sacrifice so much, and work so hard, and their motive is simply doing what is best for their child regardless of what mountains they have to move to make it happen. Am I this unselfish? Probably not. It's too intimidating. Unless I have a strong impression that this is what Brianna needs, I'm putting her in a formal educational setting outside the home. Half day. Full day is too much at such a young age. Children need to be with their parents. I believe that.
-Public School.  It's free! It's walking distance from home! Our friends are there! It's easy!  And it worked fine for me  (I hate that argument. Like people saying, "I never wear my seatbelt, and I'm fine," or "I formula fed all my babies, and they're fine" or "I eat junk food, and look how sexy I still am!")  Just because you survive something doesn't mean you wouldn't have been so much better off with a different choice.  To be fair, I haven't toured the public school yet, or met the K teacher. I need to do that. But regardless of how great the teacher is, their hands are often tied by the whole "core curriculum" one-size-fits-all requirements.
-Charter School.  Still free, usually. Requires uniforms - yay! Smaller classes. More individualized. But a far drive for me. Everyday. Back and forth in the car. Loading up two toddlers and an infant sounds SO fun to do over and over every day. Blech.  Proximity, in general, is a huge factor in my decision. I hate wasting time and money in transition. But I love the idea of doing something different than public school, simply because it weeds out certain types I don't want my child around  (AHHH! I know, so non-PC, so judgmental/racist/bigot/elitist, whatever ya wanna call it). I can't shelter my children from all the bad eggs out there, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try.
-Private School.  There's one less than a mile from us. It's a Montessori. We took a tour - very impressive. Small class size, 9/1 ratio, outstanding curriculum (including Spanish, taught by a native speaker). Brianna would actually be a tad behind most of the other kids in the kindergarten class, because the other kids did preschool there and are already reading sentences. Whereas Brianna is in the "decoding" stage and just reads/writes smaller words.  But I believe she'll catch up quickly, especially in that environment. Would that happen in a Title 1 public school, where she'll be in a class with 20-something other kids, many of them still learning letters and sounds? I know reading isn't EVERYTHING, there are dozens of other important subjects. But I believe reading trumps them.  The biggest downside:  this CO$TS. But not as much as I thought. $250/mo. for half days, 5 days/wk.  That's about what we've been paying for Brianna to go to her current preschool (which is honestly the best on the planet - I can't imagine anything more impressive), plus Karate class (Little Ninjas).

Brian's opinion? Of course Mr. meat-and-potatoes is all about just doing public school. He's the one saying, "well that's what WE did."  As if our aspiration in life is for our kids to do nothing better than their parents. He doesn't like the idea of paying for school when it could be free. I let him know that theory doesn't work... "why do we pay for having cars when it's free to ride your bike? Why do we pay for good food when it's cheaper to eat ramen noodles?"  Do we prefer to use that money instead for nice vacations and pretty furniture and restaurant visits? What could be more important than our childrens' education?  Brian definitely agrees that there's no excuse for not sacrificing to do what's best for our little ones. For him, it's more sacrificing his disdain for anything that appears to be ostentatious. We have to let go of that and not care what others think. I'm also selling him on the fact that we don't have to do make choices now for her ENTIRE educational career. We can take it one year at a time. Maybe private Kindergarten, then a different choice next year.
I feel very fortunate that I have so many options. Most people don't. Especially now that I'm bringing in a little more from my job (UtahRunning.com), we can afford do what is best for our kids.
I'm not saying my mind is made up. At all. I don't know what we'll do yet. But it's helpful for me to write my evolving thoughts down, thus this long rambling potentially offensive blog post :)

7 comments:

Christina said...

I think Brianna would love school if she went to the montessori school. That's my vote, if you're asking. ;)

chelsea mckell said...

Christina, wasn't directly asking.... but I actually do welcome advice/thoughts/suggestions!

Ioana said...

I'm sure you'll come to the right decision for your family. FYI though, we had a horrible experience with the Montessori school you talk about with Lexie (great experience with one in Virginia, under different management :)

Julie said...

I have been thinking the same things almost around here and actually think more and more about homeschooling my kids. The only reason i'm thinking about public is if Boston gets into the spanish program I think that would be a neat experience. ALthough it doesn't make sense though if I ever move to a school without a spanish program (which is most) then it means nothing... homeschooling I like the idea of doing things when I want and how I want but the pressure of keeping them caught up - ahhhh ... but I know there are groups to join and etc - but do I trust my knowledge? not so much haha... how will i teach math when I suck at it? but to be able to take a month vacation in the winter when we earn the big bucks I wont be able to do in a public school because they will miss too many days and blah blah. We have a charter school and public school right by us. Charter I hear good things and bad - so i'm torn. Montessori I have heard fabulous things. My friend teaches at one in Cedar and love love loves it. well there are my thoughts - worth a penny or a million you pick haha!! good luck!

Unknown said...

My girls go to public school and it is also Title 1. Since it is title 1 they have more state funding and there is a tutor with every classroom. Their classrooms have computers and I-pads. I have LOVED both of the girls teachers, and I volunteer in the classroom for an hour every week. All of their classmates know me and I know them and most of their parents from pick-up and fieldtrips. I also like that they are in a class full of kids different than them. Both of my girls are excellent readers and above grade level, they can read at home and take AR (Accelerated Reading) tests at school. Josie's K class has 20 students but there are 4 kids (Josie included) above level and her teacher has them passing off 2nd grade sight words rather than K sight words. I really feel that being involved in the classroom and having open communication with their teachers makes for a good educational experience. I trade babysitting with another mom that also volunteers in the school.

Really whatever you decide is going to be wonderful! I just thought I'd put a shout out there for hardworking public school teachers!

Good luck.

Rachel

Michelle {Fun On A Dime} said...

The ever eternal debate! Even in the middle of the year I start questioning if we put them in the right school. That's a great rate for a Montessori school, I swear the one near our last house was 2-3x that much (crazy!

Michelle {Fun On A Dime} said...

The ever eternal debate! Even in the middle of the year I start questioning if we put them in the right school. That's a great rate for a Montessori school, I swear the one near our last house was 2-3x that much (crazy!