Saturday, June 16, 2012

Birthday Brian

Benevolent Brian gave me two choices for the celebration of his 30th year of life: a road trip to CA for beach time, or a big ol' party here with all our friends. Anyone who knows me knows the choice was easy. Sit in the car for 20 hours?! I'd rather be a bug headed for the windshield. Plan a big party? BORN to do that! (thanks Mom!) I had to keep it somewhat simple, considering my 3 limitations (B, C, and B) and the limitations of most of our guests (sand volleyball and laser tag games don't work well when you're tripping over toddlers). But I still felt like I put on a good fiesta for old man B.
Brian insisted that we have "Brian Food."  Meaning: nothing really fancy or expensive.  Costco pizza and cake. That's it. I managed to sneak in some fruit and salads, but Brian was set on his mass produced crap.  Though actually - Costco really does a decent job on those two staples.

We rented a cotton candy machine! So fun to swirl it around yourself! Did you know they're made from Jolly Ranchers?! That's it! The machine melts ONE jolly rancher and turns it into a big cotton candy ball! Totally buying one of these.
AND we rented a FROZEN YOGURT machine! The flavor was LIME, and it was a huge hit. Everyone liked making little ice cream cones for themselves. Totally worth the splurge.

We had some games and contests for aaaweesommee (dollar store) prizes. A COOKIE-STACKING contest (architect Steve won with like 23, I think.) Here, little cousin (second cousin?) SMITH is taking his turn. Yeah, his FIRST name is Smith! So cool.
I love our friends!! We have such awesome friends, we really do. The Housleys, Tanners, Kovach-Kerbs.... I'm so happy my kids have great options for families we'll allow them to marry into.
Also in attendance:  a few of Brian's work buddies, and extended family! My local cousins: Thornocks, Alleys, Parker.  Grandma Smith. Brian's uncle Boyd came all the way from Park City, and his sister Ashley WINS the travel award - all the way from Spanish Fork, with 3 little kids, including a brand new baby!   Seriously, it means a lot that so many people came for Brian's party!








Another contest! Can YOU guess the right answers?! (good for you if you can - I got quite a few wrong!! Brian's not as predictable as I predicted.)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Loved the party! Glad we were able to come! Brian and I have had some great times in his 30 years. Ha, I crack up just thinking of some of the things we did.