Sunday, April 8, 2012

Rraaaaaww!

So if you didn't already think I'm a little nutty, you may now. Tomorrow begins a ten day "cleanse." A "raw food" cleanse. Ten days of body detoxification. Ten days of fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds. In their natural state.

WHY?  Before the health discourse, I have to be honest and state the real reason:  A good friend asked me to do it with her. CHALLENGED me to do it. Even went as far to mock me when I initially refused. "So miss SuperMom, marathon-runner, you're not scared of any other physical challenge - why THIS one?!"    Ummm... because it's going to be hard. Really hard. But she's right - if I can do other hard things, I can do this.  And it's not a strenuous undertaking void of substantial benefits, like other notorious feats may be.
I'll likely never wear the badge of a natural med-free baby birther, so I have to get my personal empowerment from doing something else, right? :)

As published in "The Journal of Nutrition," benefits of a raw foods dietary detox may include: improved digestion, increased skin clarity, higher resistance to cold and flu viruses, reduced menstrual problems, weight loss, improved bowels, reduction of bladder/kidney infections, lowered cholesterol and triglyceride levels, reduced risk for cardiovascular disease, increase in energy levels, improved flexibility, muscular strength, cardiovascular endurance, reduced dependency on addictive substances, and aid in battling chronic illnesses.
2So basically ten days from now I'm expecting to be the energizer bunny, free from my carb addiction, skin glowing, smaller jeans finally fitting  :)
If that all doesn't happen.... I'm going to be really ticked, and head straight to Cold Stone.

So here I go! Along with my friend, and a huge group of crazies online. And YOU? Feel free to join the fun!  :)  I'm posting this here to keep myself accountable.  So feel free to ask me about my progress and thoroughly berate me if I fail. And on a serious note - another motivation I have to do this is the fact that I have a very close friend going through a much more serious detox/rehab right now. She's lost almost everything because of her drug addiction. And I've felt pretty helpless and frustrated the past few months. But for some reason, doing this makes me feel better. If I can exercise some serious self-mastery, so can she!

"Twas the night before Cleanse America, when all through the nation 
A committed group of raw foodies, prepare for a healthy sensation. 
Their kitchens are stocked with whole food goodness,
 In hopes that a 10 day cleanse will begin a lifetime of whole food-ness. - 
We sprang to the challenge, Wellness Warriors as our guides,
 Share their tools of education, motivation, inspiration, and support, by our sides. 
We hear them exclaim personal empowerment and clarity regarding our health, 
Happy Cleansing to all, and to all wellness-wealth!"

5 comments:

Malerie said...

After Easter Candy, (ugh( that sounds about right. Can't wait to hear how it goes...

Courtney said...

Ok...you are nearing the end of day two...I need an update!

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

You can eat candy if it raw right??? :)

Have fun with this one. I think you will have to celebrate your victory afterwards with a bacon cheeseburger.

Unknown said...

So where did you go for recipes? Glenn has agreed to give this a shot with me, but the cleanse america website isn't as informative as I thought!

chelsea mckell said...

So awesome Kecia! Just emailed you.