Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Green Smoothie

I go through phases of super healthy eating, and super whatever-I-don't-care eating.
Anyone else?
Lately it's been healthy stuff (obviously - I'm not going to blog/brag about eating crap).
Specifically GREEN SMOOTHIES.
I know, super trendy.
Don't roll your eyes.
They're amazing.
Green veggies are ALIVE. So many other foods are DEAD.
So if you are what you eat...
The best part is that my kids drink them too. That makes my heart sing with joy.
I don't care what their diapers look like afterward.
 There's no other way for their little bodies to absorb all the nutrients from green vegetables before they are passed (cuz what kid sits down with a nice big salad, no dressing?!)
So I've learned from my experimenting that they keys to a great green smoothie are frozen bananas and grapes. Their taste and texture overpower everything. Others are great too- we've thrown in just about everything- but bananas and grapes. Must use.
Favorite greens- kale, spinach, collards, arugula. I want to try others, but I get nervous about things like beet greens. Wweeeeeirrrddd....
:) 
Honestly, I feel so much better when I "treat" myself like this, instead of my usual sugar/carb fest.
I feel like I think more clearly, am more patient with my children, and my clothes fit better :)








5 comments:

Unknown said...

I second the grapes and bananas. We also use my home canned peaches (in ultra light almost water syrup) a lot. I find it funny that your favorites are kale and arugula, but beet greens are weeeeirrrddd. Most people have green favorites like iceberg and romaine. I like kale and arugula and collards and spinach and beet greens. bok choy, not that stuff is weeeeirrrddd.

Melissa said...

We love green smoothies too! I make popsicles and the kids love em. Makes me so happy!! ;)

valmike said...

I go through those phases too. The "healthy" ones are usually much shorter. Ha ha!

Brittany said...

I love this post because you are drinking out of storage containers....I feed my kids off of lids all the time:)

Debbie said...

I made "nonny pops" for the TX group. The color was pretty scary looking - got to be careful of mixing the reds AND greens! Connor asked about the contents and I was honest - Meg said the others tried them and liked them. So, starting early to avoid the discrimanation is perfect.