Thursday, February 23, 2012

First Dentist Trip

She asked the dentist over and over again for a "drink"
(from the water squirter/sprayer tool). She also told him he
had a funny name that her daddy is Brian. 
I know, I probably should've taken her before now... like, um, three years ago before now... but seriously - what's the point of taking a baby to the dentist?! 98% of them will freak out and hate it. The other 2% will sit there happily (after being drugged, of course). I think the AAP's recommendation of taking a child to the dentist around their first birthday was written by someone who had never actually tried to take a child to the dentist. Or it was written by a dentist, who wanted to make money, not realizing it would be more of a pain than it's worth to try to get a child to let him scrape around their teeth.  There's my ignorant schpeel for the day.
So I'm glad that we waited until Brianna would actually ENJOY her first dental visit. Now she's not going to have a fearful aversion to the dentist for her whole life, like so many do. Or maybe she will after we get her little cavity taken care of. Yeah, whoops. Although the doc said it wasn't necessarily a "user error" - might have been a development thing - the outer layer of one tooth had a spot of less density. Something like that. Maybe he was just trying to console me in my grief (because having a child w/ a cavity makes any good mom feel like a crappy mom.)
The gift card, PLUS a goody bag with a 2 new toothbrushes - one
princess, one battery-powered, stickers, kid's floss, kid's toothpaste
 (big size!), lip gloss...This might make up for our dental insurance premiums!
So to make myself sound even worse... my motivation for taking her at this point was a tad self-serving. I probably would've continued procrastinating it if it weren't for all these incentive offers we get in the mail for various dentists around here.  It's wonderful living in a state saturated with more dentists than it needs. So they have to compete, and send out bait. For this visit, we earned a $25 B&N gift card. For Brian's visit (to a different dentist) we got a free electric toothbrush. For mine, I was supposed to get an ipod shuffle, but I wasn't eligible for one of the xrays for another couple years. Lame. Lesson learned - read the fine print beforehand. Anyways, I'm rambling...  Point is.... what's the point.. is there one? What's the point of all this blogging I do, in general? I don't really know. Just blabbing out to cyberspace about our trivial adventures. Oh sheesh I need to go to bed now.  After flossing. 

1 comment:

Hohmann Family said...

That face is priceless! I threw up on the dentist my first time. Looks like her experience was MUCH better than that!