Thursday, February 23, 2012

Courtney got beat up by a Mexican

Warning: following post may be construed as rascist. And maybe it is a little. Chill out, don't be uptight.  I'm a very upset mommy right now, because this wasn't bueno. No me gusta. Quiero Taco Bell.

So - I dropped off my darlings at the childcare at Golds as usual this morning. They like it there - very spacious, nice employees, and some fun activities each day. I haven't had many issues there (which is impressive for them, because I'm the type to easilyEASILY have issues with childcares). As I was leaving, two women were checking in a two year old. One was translating for the other. The non-English speaking one couldn't even answer any of the questions from the employee - basic ones like "how old is your child?" Nothing. Not a syllable of English. Ya know... if I was going to go live in France, I'd learn French. Or at least try. Why in the world would someone live in America and not speak the freakin language?! Especially in UTAH - not a border state, not especially diverse... seriously. LEARN ENGLISH. There's my insensitive arrogant rant for the day. Ok, so the women were checking in the two year old (who looked like she hadn't had a bath in awhile) - and they all SMELLED. I left annoyed, but telling myself to stop being so darn judgemental. Turns out I should've listened to my judgemental self.
When I returned after a fun Body Combat class and a shower (because I love showering at the gym - saving on our water bill, and guaranteeing 5 minutes of solitude for the day), the employee brought over a BLOODY-CHEEKED Courtney, and a very upsetting story - So the Mexican two year old was a tyrant. She was wild and violent and didn't understand English. Unprovoked, she scratched THREE children before the employees finally quaranteened her and got her mom out of the gym. She's not allowed back ever. Especially after storming off in an unapologetic huff, or so I was told. I don't blame the employees - they probably were also telling themselves not to be judgmental as this woman was checking in her monster. And honestly, I'm not even that mad. I feel bad for that woman - she's obviously got a lot of problems. I just feel sad that Courtney had such a violent, painful encounter at such a young age. And now she'll probably grow up to be rascist too.
Under that bandage is a wound cleaned with hydrogen peroxide, then topped with triple antibiotic cream. 

12 comments:

Ioana said...

That is sad, yet it happens so often! I'm an immigrant myself, as you well know, and I'm VERY frustrated that all of these people don't even bother; they actually take pride in their nationality and I'm wondering, then what in the world are you doing in this country??? I've had issues with some of them at playgrounds as well, and you can't talk to them because they don't understand! It's ridiculous! And yes, Gold's has a very nice daycare. :) Poor little Courtney!

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

A few things:
1. You are lucky you get to go to the Hilton-Gold's Gym now. I am stuck with the crappy 1 star (no. 0 star)ghetto gym here.

2. You are such a racist. ;) Your comment about C being attacked at a young age and now growing up to be a racist made me LOL.

3. Sorry about C's injury. Looks ouchie.

4. you crack me up.

Allison said...

i love the last sentnce it made me laugh out loud a lot. whats the lingo for that? LOLAL? ;)

Julie said...

oh courtney! I would be so ticked too! I am protective mother bear and it just kills me when kids are mean...MEAN PEOPLE SUCK!!!! hope it heals fast!

Kadotcedot said...

Hi Chelsea...
Sorry that Courtney got hurt, but it could have been a stinky white child that just doesn't listen that scratched Courtney; why does Mexican have anything to do with it?
Sure the poor kid doesn't understand english yet (which isn't really her fault); at the same time, I think her parents are doing her a favor teaching her Spanish so that as she grows up here she'll be bilingual. (we only speak spanish to my son at home)
As far as the mother not speaking English, you don't know how long she's lived here, maybe she's a recent immigrant. And, how hard it is to live in another country where you don't know the language, give the dear lady a break.

And finally, My son got tackled and punched by a kid in Nursery. The kid is a little white boy that understand's english perfectly. These things happen, sorry it happened to your little one, by a child that doesn't speak english, but remember we're all children of God so please don't label Mexicans as bad people, I love them and their culture a LOT!!! They are good people, and have really good food.
:)Just as little other-side of the coin comment on the not trying to be racist rant.(You don't have to let this go to your post if you don't want to)
Take Care!!!

Natalia said...

Poor little Courtney :(

But I do have to throw my 2 cents in here too. First of all, you are brave to put out a post stating how you feel and leaving the comments open. I'm not that brave, and end up disabling comments when I feel very strongly about an issue and I know most of my readers won't agree with (mainly political issues).

Secondly, my family came to the U.S. 20 years ago. At the time, my dad was the only one who spoke any English. We started full time school at a regular elementary school the day after we flew in. My brothers and I picked up English in about 6 months. My mom, on the other hand, took years and years to learn. To this day, she still has times when she doesn't understand what people say (there was one particularly funny time when she heard a story in Sunday School and thought the teacher said he had an ancestor who died on a roller coaster -- when if fact, he had an ancestor who died in the holocaust).

Anyway, my point is, that child had no right to hurt any other child. However, whether or not the mom could speak English makes little difference to me. But if that mother couldn't even get her child to take a bath, chances are (like you said), that there are many other issues in that home.

chelsea mckell said...

Who is Kadocedot?

I knew posting this I'd offend someone. Choose not to be offended :)

Kadotcedot said...

I'm not Offended. You know me, K-dot-C-dot, u're BYUH running buddy :) I'm not very good at expressing my perspectives in writing, but you hit on my soap-box topic so I had to post (you'll be happy to know, i'm a frequent stalker of your postings :)

Hohmann Family said...

Dang!! That's a bad scratch!! I hope she's willing to go back to childcare and give it another try. Those little cheeks are so lovable!

Sally Jackson said...

I'm not offended, but maybe that's because I'm Caucasian...Hmmmm, Yah I have to say after reading this post that someone's race or ethnicity has nothing to do with the behavior problems of the child, but everything to do with your personal feelings towards Mexicans. At least that's what this says to me. I think everyone has personal bias..... For instance I happen to really look down on dirty hippies, but if a dirty hippie child scratched my kid, I would focus more on why this child might be having so many problems, maybe even feel some sympathy for a struggling family situation, rather than berate the whole group or race. Just my two cents. Love you Chelsea, sorry your baby got attacked. That sux.

Melissa said...

Poor Cortney! That is really sad. I totally feel the same way about the hispanics. We have a ton here in IDAHO that don't speak English. I just don't understand why they would move here and not learn the language. I have patients all the time at the hospital that don't know any english and their 5 year old children who attend school here have to translate for them. Annoying!

Sally Jackson said...

I had a run-in today with some dirty hippie children today and thought of you. I'm such a hypocrite.