Thursday, December 1, 2011

It all started with a loud wind storm that woke us all up around 4am. I could see debris flying all around that looked like wild bats. Every few minutes  we'd hear a huge crash and thud. Trees falling. I started getting texts from friends around 6am, wondering how we were and if we had power. A smarter person would've charged their phone immediately and done other storm prep, but no- I wasn't taking this seriously yet. Just a little freak wind storm. Then our power went out. POOF! Sorry kids, no toast for breakfast. Or oatmeal. Keep the fridge/freezer shut! Sorry no PBS Kids. No Wiggles music. Gotta take a flashlight into the bathroom and closets with ya. Can't drive anywhere because the garage won't open, and the car might tip over out there! 95 mph gusts! Federal state of emergency declared in Centerville. Schools closed. Brian's out of commission at his office, with a lot of customers needing replacement vehicles after theirs were smashed by falling trees/poles/wild bats. And he felt pretty isolated, being the only branch in the area to lose electricity. This storm just hit Davis County then skipped over the rest of the state, apparently. Lucky us. It's frustrating to know that just twenty minutes away, life is going on as normal. Their backyards aren't covered with roof shingles and random trash. I'd like to say that we embraced our lack of electricity and enjoyed just playing at home. And we kindof did- I mean, I got the house super clean since there was nothing to distract me. The kids all took a long nap... since there was nothing else to do... But no- I LIKE ELECTRICITY. We missed gym time, storytime, grocery shopping, SuperWhy, WordWorld, warm breakfast/lunch/dinner, HEAT, the elevator, LIGHTS, washing machine... The Lord put me in the 21st Century because He knew I'm no pioneer woman. I like buttons and switches that make life better. The only good that came of this was that I realized how ill prepared we are for a real calamity. I'm buying a small generator ASAP. And matches. We had to borrow from a neighbor to light our candles. So embarrassing. We're all going to bed now wearing 548 layers of clothes. And no sound machine. I miss that. It's so quiet it's freaky! And looking out the window at a dark city is freaky. And thinking about no hot breakfast tomorrow is freaky.  I better go to bed now - since I'm sure we'll end up with all three kids in our bed. Family bonding time!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Yikes! I'm glad you're alright.

Julie said...

glad you survived!! I heard that was pretty crazy! My sister lives just a little north of you and their gigantic trees all snapped in half and their siding was ripped off their house. Craziness!

Megan Smith said...

Wow - that storm was pretty severe for UT! Thinking about not having electricity --for me, in having to cook w/out it -- is not a fun thing to have to think about either. We are very lucky to have all that we have living today.