Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Best Holiday On The Calendar.


A day off?! What's that?!


No obligatory presents, costumes, specific meals, traveling, ridiculous parading.... Brian gets the day OFF, I get to do a race, there's no guilt from turning a religious celebration into a secular consumer-driven superficial joke, the weather's always perfecto.... THERE'S NO HOLIDAY THAT CAN BEAT LABOR DAY!!!


We chose to spend our holiday morning out in the cute little town of Hooper  (pronounced "Huper" by the locals).  It was their Tomato Days Festival. Carnival, booths, crafts, activities, music, cookoff, contests, small-town-fair merriment!



(Should be Day not Days, since it's a one-day party...
 but what do I know. 
I say Hooper instead of Huper)
 I have to be honest... we didn't journey out there simply for the sake of good family fun.  I dragged the BCBCB crew to this town so I could do their 5K because there weren't any other races nearer our home. And my happiness is dependent upon the adrenaline rush of regularly racing. Not joking. And even though I'm not that fast these days (19:54 on this one), I can still win these small-town shows - and at this one the prize was $50!         Which of course I immediately spent nearly all of at their beautifully inexpensive organic Farmer's Market. 
Happiness.
I LOVE these swings, don't you?! So cute and secure.   But they were putting the babies to sleep.   I can't wait til they can make it past 10am before getting too tired to play anymore.  We had to leave Huper/Hooper before fully enjoying the festivities for the sake of preserving well-rested kiddos. 




Later on in the afternoon we had to ruin a perfectly wonderful holiday by pigging out at Sizzler. Oh believe me, we all enjoyed their lovely salad bar while there, and I enjoyed the zero price tag since I had won a gift card for it at a race a few weeks previous.... but we all left looking like we were pregnant. With twins.








I hate that "UGHI'MSOFULLI'MGOINGTOPUKEANDINEVERWANNASEEFOODAGAIN" feeling. You know you know what I'm talking about. We all spent the rest of the evening in a food coma.
We fondly refer to this look as her "stink face." She gives it to us more often than we'd like. We got it here for insisting she finish her veggies before dessert. We're such mean parents. 
PS:
If all goes as planned, Brian will spend his next Labor Day doing something just slightly more exciting.....

Climbing up Mt. Kilamanjaro.  Seriously.  My brothers and father have invited him along on their crazy Smith-men journey to Tanzania to conquer the world's highest free-standing mountain (over 19K ft). I'm just a little jealous. But hopefully I'll also be having fun in Spokane fulfilling my 18 year goal to win the Spokane LDS Labor Day Fun Run (cuz there's no way I'm staying home alone if he's gone for a coupl weeks!). Ever since I got second place to Katie Graesser I've been wanting to go back and claim the title.  That would be almost as cool as hiking up Africa's tallest mountain.

3 comments:

summer said...

congrats on your race - that is fantastic for you to get out there and still run for the adrenaline rush...I wish I was even close to feeling that and wanting to run to feel it more often. I need to work on that one :)

Love the stink face -- Jacob does something similar, and it always cracks me up....which, when I'm trying to be serious is not always the best thing!

Jordan and Crystal said...

we saw an imax on that mt. crazy.... they didn't invite you? ha ha Thats too funny you remember the labor day run thing ha ha you can do it

Becky and Brian said...

Chelsea I might have to join you in Spokane next year and cheer you on during your race! That would be a fun trip while our Brian's are gone on their BIG adventure!