Thursday, August 4, 2011

multi-level venting

At the risk of offending someone, I just have to get this off my mind  (and you know any post that starts out like this is going to be a good one. No boring zoo/pool/park-trip recap today, folks!)

Seriously, is there a big sign on my forehead that says, "Please try to solicit me to join your multi-level marketing company. I'd be awesome at it. Please, exploit our friendship and offer me insincere compliments to get me in your matrix selling my soul off to get others to buy your overpriced products."

There must be. And it must be a big sign. Because it takes both hands and one set of toes to count how many times I've been solicited by an MLMer in just the past half-decade. 

Should I take it as a compliment? People see my personality and characteristics and want their product represented by someone like me?
Or maybe it's a non-compliment. People see me and think I'd make a great mindless minion for their greedy scheme.

I should save myself some time and breath and aggravation and make some business cards that have the word BACKOFF PYRAMID BUILDER! in large letters. Or if I wanted to keep it more light-hearted, "LET'S JUST BE FRIENDS - NO PRODUCTS INVOLVED." 

Now I know all MLMs aren't created equal. But it seems like for so many, the product is really a just window-dressing to divert attention from the real profit-making dynamic: start-up fees and selling the product internally. Or for others, the product creates a religious-level fervor, turning the seller into a crazed zealot. 

I do sincerely adore and respect my friends who are involved with an MLM type company. Most have been totally cool about it - like my friend Kristin. She sells Scentsy candles. Lovely product. She asked me once if I'd do a party. I declined. It was never brought up again. We're still bestest of friends, and I cheer her on in her business endeavors. 

But others - or just one, specifically - is driving me mad with her hypocrisy and pretentious lip service! I hate being the one to unfriend people on Facebook (the explanation for my 900+ list that really needs to be cleaned up) but that might just be what has to happen. Because I've learned - so many times over - I can't change anyone. In general, people rarely change. I can only control my own behavior. And I have a hard enough time doing that! Ha! 

I feel better now. Thank you.  On with conventional commerce!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

dang it! i was getting ready to talk you into coming back to vernal for another nickel auction (which by the way, you were an AWESOME salesperson for!) totally kidding.. but i can see why people would think you could sell their products! just saying..

Brittany said...

We had a really bad experience with some friends (not any more). BAD!

Sally Jackson said...

Oh Chelsea, I so know what you feel! I hate those marketing parties with all my heart! When we first moved to Cedar city, we were thrilled to find a party invitation on our front porch from one of the neighbors. We had no idea it was one of "those"kinds. So you can imagine how bad I felt when I realized she wasn't trying to befriend the new folks in town, she was trying to sell us cooking ware. There is so gracious way to invite a friend to one of those, in my opinion. I am offended EVERY TIME. You've sold me on hating MLM even more. :)

Sally Jackson said...

I meant "no gracious way."

Crystyne said...

We have some friends, who "were thinking about joining" one of those MLM companies. They asked us to come to a meeting with them because they "wanted our opinion". So we went. At the end of the meeting, we found out that they had already joined. That was just their way of getting us to come to the meeting because they wanted us to join too. We told them that we were not interested because the numbers they gave for your potential profit margins did not add up. Our friends did not talk to us to quite some time (a few months). Talk about awkward. Down with MLM!

Unknown said...

bah ahahahah. my sentiments eXactly my dear.

Brandon and Kim said...

AGREED!! I will think oh wow they want to have us over for dinner and then the whole time it is a pitch and dinner is only a tiny finger sandwich. Just be straight up with me so I can say no. Dont keep telling me how I can help you out so much by just listening. Yes can you tell I have had my share of being dooped by friends to go to those things