Thursday, August 25, 2011

40th Anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Smith

I texted my parents this morning: "Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you got married and didn't just live in sin. Because 40 years is a lot of sinning."



I admire my parent's marriage so much and look to it as an example. After 40 years, they still seem so very much in love. We (meaning their children - specifically Meredith, since she's nosy inquisitive) still find little notes they write each other, catch them sneaking kisses and winking and sharing inside jokes.  They have their own hobbies - Dad still hasn't convinced Mom to get into skiing or biking - but they support each other in everything, and I never hear them speak poorly of each other at all. In fact, one of my favorite memories is hearing my Dad yell at my brothers in his scary voice, "YOU NEVER SPEAK TO YOUR MOTHER THAT WAY!!"   They defend each other and have really worked to keep their marriage strong through all the trials they've faced (and they've had their share!)
I'm so grateful for two parents who love each other and have made it to this big milestone.  They'll be celebrating like any old boring couple....  on the beaches of Maui.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can I be an "old boring couple"? please!? :D

Debbie said...

Thanks Chel. Dad is one of the "good guys" - you got one too. Just remember what I said about PUPPIES :)