Sunday, July 31, 2011

Horrible people let their children eat hotdogs.

I know, a little strong.    Just trying to get your attention.
This post is actually more about mommy-guilt. The never-ending, ever-increasing, mommy guilt.
I just stumbled across this video, called Meat Smoothie. Yes, Meat Smoothie. I was reminded why I feel so pukey every time I find ourselves at some social event where it's awkward not to let Brianna have one of those nasty generic abominations. So she indulges and my mommy-guilt level goes up.
 And of course Brian indulges (times 5 or 6), and I just schedule him a colonoscopy. A little too late for him.... but my children! I have a mandate to care for them the best I can! And I can do better than generic hot dogs. But so often, I don't. So often, Brianna gets "hot dog care" - basically, sub-optimal parenting. Too much TV/movies, too little quality time. Too much impatience from me and not enough empathy for her 3 yr old struggles.  Too much "I'll be there in a minute" and too little dropping-everything for her. I need to give her more than hot dogs.         Smart Dogs, anyone?!

It seems like, as Bennett and Courtney get older, they're getting more hot dog care. It won't be too long before they actually are offered and end up consuming one of those nasty abominations. It was so easy when they were infants to feel like I was doing a great job - I knew they were getting perfect nutrition, lots of cuddly time, a happy safe environment... what else did they need?! But now they have bruises on their foreheads because I didn't protect them from falling. They see cartoons big sister is watching that the AAP say will rot their brains. They eat food off the floor. They eat non-food off the floor.

And my sodium-nitrite-filled mommy-guilt continues.  

3 comments:

Malerie said...

Haha. Sorry to say, but I love me a good hot dog! Especially with Matt's homemade, tangy BBQ sauce. Mmm... Does it make it any better If we eat Hebrew Nationals? Good to know if we ever have you over for a BBQ ;)

Malerie said...

Don't worry about updating your posts! That's what I like about you - you are who you are and you're not worried about other people not liking who you are. You get the real Chelsea, which is refreshing.

I get you on the mommy guilt. I think all of us feel that way. But I guess that's what keeps us trying our hardest?

Good luck with those three munchkins! I have a feeling they're going to turn out great.

DeAnne said...

YEP, I also enjoy a nasty BBQ'd abomination every now and then as well :)