Sunday, July 10, 2011

Extra, extra!... Must've been a slow news day....

Last month we got a few moments of fame.
Why us? One not one of the other bazillion women with twins?
Because I'm online way too much.

So, I received an email one random day from a reporter at the Deseret News asking if she could interview me about my thoughts on a recent study published about the connection between women's health and twins.
Me, being a sucker for an opportunity to share my thoughts on any given subject (a little narcissistic, but I really enjoy doing surveys and telling others what I think. I'm highly opinionated on just about everything). I found out later the reporter had emailed several mothers of twins (discovered off the Salt Lake Mothers of Twins blog), and because I responded first with my phone number, we got the opportunity to have a free photo shoot with their photo guy. He asked us to "just act natural. Do what you'd normally be doing." I laughed at him. Did he really want photos of my children half-dressed, me in my pajamas, frazzled, with fragments of the last few meals sticking to my clothes and a general scene of chaos in the living room?!.... right. So I asked the photographer to come as late in the evening as he could, and I went into turbo-cleaning mode. So by the time he came, everyone and everything was presentable. Cuz we wouldn't want the newspaper reporting the TRUTH about having twin babies!
The gist of the article is that healthier women give birth to twins. The U studied census data from the 18th and 19th century. Women who had given birth to twins lived longer than women who gave birth to singletons. I joked with the reporter that it's because surviving the chaos of twins makes women more resilient and able to handle any other trial thrown at them. But really, I think it probably comes down to something more obvious - that God only gives us trials that He knows we can handle. When I look at some of the things my friends have gone through, I think - I could NEVER handle that! Yet so often people see me juggling my 3 little ones, and hear about the 120 minutes of sleep I get every night, and tell me they could never do that. So it's all relative. But regardless of the University's study findings, the newspaper article was probably the most fun for my Grandma - she went out and bought several copies and mailed them out to people! That's not like her at all! So it was worth all our efforts dealing with the wild paparazzi.

6 comments:

Ioana said...

HOW COOL!!!!! At first I thought you were sharing the news about the FBI! LOL

Malerie said...

This is really, neat, Chelsea. Those pictures are beautiful! They couldn't have picked a better family to spotlight.

Chelsea and Cody said...

That is so awesome. You were perfect for the job!:)

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

Don't let the fame go to your head.

Rhonda said...

I saw the article and I was like "That's OUR Chelsea! Very cool!"

Congrats on your 15 minutes of fame!

Sarah said...

I have really enjoyed reading your blog and watching your kids grow up. You have thrived where most people would be happy to survive. I'm glad you had a chance to shine!