Monday, July 25, 2011

Church ~ why do I bother?!

It's kindof cliche - all the mothers wandering the halls with their young'uns say it - "why do I even bother coming...."Because at moment, it seems so pointless. We're not hearing the speakers. Our kids aren't getting anything out of it (besides lots of snacks). We distract others who COULD be actually learning/worshipping as we're supposed to do on the Sabbath. I DO pack snacks/books/toys... they're just not as exciting as running around the pews, obviously. Actually - chairs, not pews. Oh how I'd love to sit on the softer pews again. But nope - we have to be in the back on the hard chairs. Even if we were actually on time and found a spot on the soft pews, we've learned from experience that we just make more of scene sitting nearer the front, as there's more of an audience behind us.
We end up sitting out in the foyer. Or sometimes it's worse and we go find a nearby classroom that has a speaker connected to the chapel. Then we can close the door and just let the kids sit wander the room while we listen.

So why go?! For appearances? Showing-up points? An excuse to put on makeup and try to look decent? A little religious educational time at Nursery for Brianna? I don't know.
We go - every week, never missed since the babies were 2 weeks old - because we know that's where we're supposed to be. It will get easier someday, and we'll have the right habits.

On a semi-related note...

Riding an elevator to get to our garage. Weeeeiiirrrddd.

With the 4th of July and the 24th of July (Pioneer Day - even bigger than the 4th around here), there was an abudance of patriotic-dressed children at church. Of course, I didn't wanna be seen as a communist, so I had to join in. I just hope I didn't cross the line into the obnoxious category. Because some people not only crossed the line, but blew up into annoying combinations of red, white, and blue star vomit.



3 comments:

DeAnne said...

great post. I feel that same way, usually every other week when Justin has to work. katelyn thinks brianna is cute.

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

I am pretty sure communists would approve of the wearing of red... but that note aside: I definitely know what you mean about crossing the cute/vomit line. It seems like lots of people go way too far into sick-land. And I don't mean sick like "good sick". BAD sick.

Debbie said...

You could of dressed them in red, white and blue.