Saturday, June 18, 2011

A second father

Next to my own Dad, I don't think there's any other old man I've ever met that I respect, appreciate, and admire as much as Coach Kaluhiokalani. He supported and helped me in the right direction all through some of the most formative years of my life. He celebrated my accomplishments while challenging me to do more and be better. He never gave me any special treatment, even when it meant starting a race without me because I was taking too long to tie my shoes. Along with teaching me the importance of punctuality, he taught by example the importance of representing my school, faith, and family wherever I went. He made his athletes leave their hotel rooms clean. He brought gift boxes of Hawaiian macademia nuts when we traveled so he could give them away to people we came in contact with. He talked about the church and the gospel at any time - during workouts, plane rides, whenever. Coach K is an extremely hardworking, generous, wise, and positive person. I'm grateful to have him in my life as mentor and friend.
He came in town this month to visit a couple of his kids. He bought a car from Enterprise (which gives Brian a little referral bonus!), then today he treated us to lunch (at icky nasty Olive Garden - possibly the most undercover W.T. chain restaurant eeevvveerr), and got to meet my kids and immediatly start recruiting them for his XC team in Fall 2028. I have pictures I'll post later.  And by "post later" I mean I'll add them to the ever-growing folder with hundreds of photos I've been meaning to blog or do something with eventually....
But I will share the collage 8x10 I gave to coach as a little gift:

I miss those days!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Chels you rock - Coach K rocks and brianna likes to stick rocks in her nose! :) fun for you guys about both LOL!!! Even though I didn't know you for most of "those days" I miss those days too!

Sam and Melissa said...

Aw, this post had me tearing up. Those were some of the best experiences of my life. I remember when he started the race without you, ha ha. So funny. I am pretty sure he knew you could catch up :) I need to get pictures from you, I lost ALL my pictures save two or three from those years.

BBS said...

What a wonderful tribute. I love the things he has taught you. I also love coach's who inspire!