Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cousin Brooke

It's so nice living near relatives. Especially since we don't have as many friends here as we did in Cedar (I couldn't go to the grocery store there without running into friends - not the case here). But now I randomly run into cousins! And I have some great cousins I'm getting to know better.
One is my cousin Brooke. She's my dad's oldest brother's 5th daughter. She's such an interesting and amazing person - one of those real "free spirit" types. Brooke has a quality I'd like to develop - she never ever says anything negative about anyone. At least not that I've ever heard, nor anyone else in my family. She just chooses to focus on the positives. She's a sincerely loving person towards everyone. I want to be more like that.
This particular photo opp occured one windy day as I was walking home with my kids on our usual route and mode - one baby in front carrier, and the other two children in the stroller facing me. I love that BTW - traveling around with all my kids within arm's reach. But I was struggling on this day, because the wind was blowing HARD, and rain drops had started coming down. Brooke spotted me as she was headed into the shopping center, turned around instantly, and helped me get home. Then - she STAYED and played with Brianna while I got the babies down. If she hadn't been there, I would've just stuck Brianna in front of Dora on Netflix so I could get the babies down. She made my day. And this wasn't the first time - about a month ago, she randomly called one Wednesday morning and asked if I'd let her come over and play with the babies so I could go on a run or do errands or whatever I needed to do. SO NICE!! And of course, she left thanking me for giving her some baby time (she loooooves babies).
It's too bad she'll never read this - she's kindof anti-computers. Maybe I'll get old-school and send her a thank you note in the mail. What do stamps costs these days?! I don't even know!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Brooke was sweet and gentle from the time I met her - I think she was 5-6 when she was brought into Kit & Phyl's family.