Saturday, May 14, 2011

Milestones

Isn't it funny how with the first baby, developmental milestones are really exciting and earth-shattering and memorable...
And now with subsequent babies, I just think - oh dang it, I have to go write that down somewhere before I forget.

Courtney was discovered this evening, screaming in her crib (I ran in immediately because it was a weird scream), STANDING UP holding on to the side. She's never done that before. Just a couple days ago she started pulling herself up to a leaning-over standing position on my leg when I'm sitting on the ground, but never like this - full standing. Annnnddd.... she's crawling all around the house. Like a couple days ago I left the babies playing with toys in the front room to go quickly grab a shower... and before I was done I saw her little head poking around the corner.  Saying ma ma ma maaa mmma.  No joke.  But Brian doesn't feel bad, because she also says DADA over and over when he gets home, or when asked to say it. I guess that qualifies as her first word, which is noteworthy. She might want to know about her first word someday. Or not. Cuz I, personally, am pretty uninterested in what my own first word was. I guess I'm just shocked when these babies do anything new, because I expect them to be really late in their milestones because they're so small, and they're twins. Which is ridiculous of me, and just as ignorant as the people who ask me if they're identical or fraternal twins.  OH, and Courtney also does a "game" with me - when we're laying down together, she smiles at me and plops her head onto me for a couple seconds, then gets up and laughs, then plops her head back down. Over and over again, as long as I'm laughing with her. It's so amazing to feel like we're communicating on some level.

Bennett? He scoots, not crawls, and doesn't say mama or dada. But maybe we can count CLAP as his first word, because he says "aahh PUH" and claps wildly several times a day, including when asked to. And when he's in trouble  (like the other day he bit me and I sternly reprimanded him - he just looked at me, smiled and started clapping. Not humanly possible to be upset with a smiling, clapping boy).  He also claps when Brian gets home.
I think that's everyone's favorite milestone of the day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When people asked my mom if my twin brother and I were identical, she'd politely smile and say "everything but the plumbing."

That is crazy that Courtney figured out how to crawl while you were in the shower!

And if you ever think about it with camera in hand, I'd be delighted to see a video of a clapping bennett!