Thursday, May 5, 2011

FAQs

How old are your babies?
9 months!

How are they doing?
Great?

How are you doing?
Great!

Tell the truth!
You don't want to know the truth. Just focus on the good front I put on. We're all PERFECTLY FINE ALL THE TIME.

Right. Sooo....are the babies crawling?
Kindof. The monkey-scooting crawl thing. They can get across a room, but not with correct form. And I refuse to teach them correct form, because then they might move even faster than they already do. They also like to crawl up onto my lap and try to stand on me. Courtney especially likes to be held up in the standing/walking position. It's kindof upsetting. Can't they just STAY DOWN?!

Weight?
We're skipping the 9-month checkup, but on our scale Bennett is 18.8, Courtney is 17.6. At this age, Brianna was 19.8!

Speaking of weight... What about you - you know the rule - 9 months up, 9 months down... So you've lost the baby weight, right?
Shutup. No.   =P  Eight pounds to go. Totally my fault, can't blame anyone or anything else anymore! I exercise a lot, and eat healthy, but just too much. Sure, I eat right.... I eat RIGHT NOW.  There's a skinny girl inside of me, wanting to get out.... but I shut her up with carbs.

Teeth?
Way to change the subject. Courtney has 3 top, 2 bottom. Bennett has 2 top, 2 bottom. It was a rough few weeks getting those out. Drooling, crying, chewing....and the babies were doing that too.   :)   But I think we're getting a little break now. Hopefully. I had anxiety during every feeding that they would draw blood (again!)

Man, how do you DO it?
Well, I kinda have to. Or the neighbors will keep calling CPS on me.   =)
The "one day at a time" phrase has never ever never never been more applicable.

Favorites?
Like most babies - they love being outside, being carried in my wrap, being sung to/spoken to, toys (esp. the off-limit ones, like my phone and laptop), Daddy coming home, being tossed in the air or flung upside down (gently :), being tickled, rolling balls, music.... Bennett especially enjoys splashing. Courtney appreciates highchair time. But really, not to brag.... I'M their favorite. Nothing gets them as happy as mommy's attention. Huge boost to my self esteem.

Dislikes?
Courtney doesn't want me to sit in chairs while feeding her. Bennett hates loud noises like the blender and shower. Both don't like me cleaning their ears or picking at their flaky skin (though oddly, I kindof enjoy it). Both are wary of strangers but warm up to friendly faces quickly. Both have a healthy fear of their wild older sister.

Sleeping?
Ugh. Do we have to address that topic? I'm so torn. Some nights I think, "that's it! We're starting sleep training tomorrow! No more nice mommy!" And other times I think, "You train dogs, you parent children. Ignoring their cries for me would be as pleasant and last as long as holding my breath underwater." So that leaves me with babies who still eat a couple times each night. But at least I know they're developing a good sense of security! And no supply-issues that happen to so many bfing women who get those lovely 8 hours of uninterrupted zzzs. I keep telling myself I'll get tougher when they turn one. They nap well though. Twice a day for an hour (or three!) each. Sometimes even at the same time as Brianna's nap (yes she still naps everyday!) and I get some precious me-time, where I can do ridiculously long blog posts that I doubt many actually read.

Does Bennett look like you, and Courtney look like Brianna?
Apparently. I'm told that quite often. I don't really see it.

How long ya gonna keep breastfeeding?
Good question. A few more minutes. Then we'll switch sides. Then it's Courtney's turn, but I'll have to get off this chair of course (why must she be so particular?!). No more tandem feedings. They try to gauge each other's eyes out. I don't like playing referee. But I love nursing my babies!

Solids?
They munch on a few things. I really see it as just experimentation at this young stage. But I've done a few fun blender mixes, and they eat it happily enough. I feel very protective of them and their diets, because others - including Brian - think it's green-light now for feeding them whatever. OhMyNO! I'll relax when they're older.  Like.... 18.  They also get lots of exposure to bacteria, boosting their immune systems, from eating off the floor. The 5-second rule is more like the 5-hour rule around here. 

Twenty years from now, when you look back at this stage in your life, what do you think you'll remember?  
Sitting on the floor all day long taking care of them. And our stroller walk freak show, where everyone gawks at me wearing one baby and pushing two in the cadillac stroller. And going days and days without ever using the car. It's just easier to sit on the floor and stay home.
!!

3 comments:

Becky said...

I read every word. I like how you set it up as FAQs. Cute. I don't know how you do it but, now I feel I have a very very very small peek into what it's like...very small. You're doing a great job!

Sally Jackson said...

Your sense of humor must save you from ever feeling mad. You seem to laugh and make jokes, and smile through life. Even if it's a front, it's working!

Allison said...

I read the whole post too. :) I'm not always a regular reader since I don't regularly get on the blogger as much now- so it was a fun update to read. And whoa about the you tube. Plus now it has like 2,000+ more views since you wrote that post. Crazy. Happy belated Mothers Day!