Saturday, May 21, 2011

6 years!

TODAY, in bullet points:

-Happiest day in a long time
-Been on an adrenaline-filled high
-On the phone, Meredith informed me I sounded like I was on crack.
-Started with my husband of exactly 6 years letting me sleep in until the last second possible before having to get up for my race.
-He had been up with the male twin since 6am, writing me the sweetest card I've ever received from him. Made me cry.
-Had a great 5K at Smith's in Farmington. Felt so good - my knee is getting so much better.
-Had a great shopping trip at Smith's filled with lots of killer deals on good stuff, courtesy of those awesome orange clearance stickers. Saving money makes me ridiculously happy.
-Came home to 3 happy kids and a husband tackling the 5 ft tall stack of laundry.
-Got in the car to go to a 5K in Rose Park. Got another great workout - and oddly, the exact same time and finishing place as the first 5K.  I've had a handful of double-fun-run Saturdays in my life, and as bizarre as I know doing this seems, I get an awesome adrenaline rush from it.
-Brianna cheering "GO MOMMY!" makes my world.
-Spent a few hours yard sale shopping in beautiful Spring weather with Brianna. She's a fun shopping buddy.
-Scored TONS of fabulous finds at end-of-the-day prices. To name a few:  a semi-formal dress for the evening's anniversary date ($5), a new plate set ($2), a couple Disney movies to complete our collection (.50), three pairs of shoes for Brianna (.75), Melissa&Doug abacus (new, $1), about a dozen cute summer shirts for me (.25-$1 - especially exciting, since my closet is full of summer shirts I absolutely can't wear while at nursing-twins size), peanut Halloween costumes for the babies ($1), new snow bibs for Brianna ($2), books and coloring books for Brianna (.25)... I'll stop now. Obviously, I get pretty excited about this stuff. It would be embarrassing if I had a little more pride. But I'm shamelessly in love with great deals on great stuff.
-Came home and speed-cleaned the house to prep for babysitters.
-Yes, babysitterS.  Two of them.  I feel much better knowing we're not going to overwhelm some poor teenager, and risk our kids not getting the attention to their needs they deserve.
-Brian took me to Christopher's Prime Steakhouse and Grill. It's one of those super fancy-schmancy places where you only see ridiculously wealthy old men and their (ahem) dates at. Average entrĂ©e price was about as much as our weekly shopping bill. Thank goodness for the Entertainment book, making it all half price.
-I did a good job not freaking out at spending so much money. I threw a mini-tantrum, but got over it and just enjoyed the disgusting opulence.
-My two cute 1st-cousins-once-removed did a wonderful job for four whole hours. I paid them each $20 and their eyes got wide and jaws dropped. So funny.
- I asked Brianna what she did with her babysitters and she said, "nothing. Just cleaned up the mess before you got home."

-We went to the same place we got married. I was surprised that the few people we told our plans to had a negative reaction to our date idea. Like it's nerdy or boring to go to the temple. Whatev. For us, there's nothing that brings us closer or helps us overcome our differences more than being reminded of the blessing of our eternal marriage. I honestly walked out of there a little more in love with Brian than when I walked in.
-I got a phone calls from Dick's Market. The entry form I had compulsively scribbled our info onto was actually pulled out and we won! Nothing huge - a bag of groceries worth $15 - but it made my day.  Well, kinda. Today was so great and full of made-my-day moments that this just blended in.

8 comments:

Marilyn said...

I loved reading about your great day. I wish I had enlisted a babysitter more often when the girls were young. You two are smart to celebrate with each other.

valmike said...

Going to the temple on your anniversary is a great idea! Congrats. Oh and I am in shock that your twins are getting so grown up! It goes so much faster when you don't see them very often, but still... They're growing up and super adorable, just like their big sister!

Megan Smith said...

Sounds perfect! You know that you're married to the right person when he's cool with taking you to the temple on your anniversary -- I agree, it's the best place you could be!

Amy Hunter said...

That sounds like the perfect day to me too. And, I love your thriftiness! I'm the same way, but definitely not as skilled as you are, my dear. I pay hommage (is that spelled right?). You know what I mean.

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary! It sounds like a wonderful day! I love going to the Temple, as well, on my anniversary.

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

That is a seriously full and incredibly awesome day.

summer said...

I feel like I'm going to ruin the zen moment that you had 6 comments on your 6 year anniversary post - but just had to say loved this post! I too get thrilled with finding great deals & that Brian let you enjoy your runs and yard sales is so sweet. Only made sweeter that you spent the day at the temple...that is the place we strive to get back to each year when we celebrate as well. It really does help you remember why you love one another and the greatness of being together. You are such a perfect - perfect match!

Julie said...

couldn't ask for more!