Tuesday, March 29, 2011

amigos

I knew before we arrived here that the best and easiest place to find friends would be the Mother's Lounge at church. I pictured myself walking in, parking my skirt in a recliner, and striking up conversation with the breastfeeding mom next to me. And that's exactly how it happened. I've made some lovely friends here and had a few fun playdates. One lives in our building (Breanna, and Brianna thinks we're lying about Hazel's mommy's name), and she's the only other person under age 90. Seriously. The ad for this rental failed to mention this condo was in elderly-land.
Another friend I made at Smith's.  The grocery store! How did I make a friend at the grocery store?! Especially since I was in a big hurry, dressed like I just rolled out of bed, and trying to control a preschooler begging for all that crap the evil conspiring grocery store owners put at children's eye-level.   But my new friend Jen somehow saw past that, and we've had fun doing lunch dates and a trip to Kangaroo Zoo. 

Still.... I miss my friends in Cedar. I had such amazing friends in Cedar. Like the kinds that cleaned my bathroom for me when I was incapacitated post-injury and wiped my kids' bums without thinking twice. Have I ever told the story of how I made my very first friend in Cedar? Twas the day after we arrived from Vernal, and I immediately went to Gold's to unfreeze my gym membership. Post-Pump class, I followed a cute friendly-looking mommy to the childcare to pick up our similarly aged daughters. I blurted out some random sentence that went something like "oh, your girl is so cute! Did you like that class? I didn't. But I guess it was just different than my old gym's pump class. I just moved here yesterday. I don't know anyone. I don't even know where the grocery store is. I think our daughters are about the same age!"  Fortunately, Kristin didn't run away from me immediately. Though she may now wish she would have.  :)
I kept KDawg busy at the end playing Cinderella for me. Why can't my friends all just move with me?!

But it's ok. We have Facebook. And blogging. And texting. Oh, and I guess there's actual phone conversations... but who does THAT anymore?!  :)

2 comments:

Debbie said...

It's okay to really miss friends. It's tough to leave a good friend. Staying in touch is the best.

Kristin said...

I. MISS> YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting a picture of me without makeup and after having gone to the gym wearing my husbands shirt. At least your cute twins are hiding my rolls. :) That's it, I"m calling you.