Saturday, February 19, 2011

A perfect Saturday morning

Back in the time of BC  (before children),  Saturday mornings were my absolute favorite. I looked forward to them like Christmas. I would get up early and head out to a race somewhere. Utah is great for that - a fun run of some sort nearly every Saturday all year - often multiple ones to choose from. After the race I would hang out and enjoy whatever else was going on, since usually these local races are held in conjunction with a town festival/parade/carnival or fundraiser of some sort. Then I went home feeling extremely productive, since I had a great workout and usually some cool prizes and good post-race snacks. The adrenaline rush kept me on a blissful high for the rest of the day. It was awesome.
I haven't had Saturday mornings like those in a longlong time, it seems. I've only done 3 races since the babies - a couple local 5Ks and a half marathon. They were all awesomely fun, but filled with anxiety over the welfare of my nurslings, preschooler, and poor husband in charge of them all. 
But this past Saturday I finally got to do a race that felt perfect. It was in warm, sunny Santa Clara, and I knew Brian would be totally fine with the kids. The babies are old enough now that they can be a little more patient when hungry, and are more predictable in their eating habits. Brian brought the double stroller and just rolled around with Brianna and them at the park where the race was held. He had a great time doing it - Brian sincerely loves spending time with his kids and is so good about supporting me in my little hobby. I was really shocked at my time - 20:18! I really didn't think I could go under 21 at all. But I tried to stay with some guys who said they keep a low 6-something pace, and though they beat me (grrrr), I think it helped me push myself more. I'm sosososoSO excited to try and do a 5K under 20. That was my big goal after having Brianna - I told myself I couldn't get pregnant again until I could do a 19-something 5K. I'm going to set the standard higher now - no getting pregnant until I can go sub-19. The race didn't do any awards or anything like that because it was a fundraiser for a little boy who got burned badly in a firework accident. The 8 year old, Jace, got to come down from the burn center at the U to see the race. Poor little guy was bandaged and swollen all over. I couldn't help but cry as his mother, sobbing, thanked everyone for coming out to support the event. There was a lot more to it than a 5K - they had a great band, jumper castle inflatables, a train, a BBQ, a Mexican lunch, a huge bake sale, and a little girl selling hairbows.  I felt it was my duty and obligation to spend as much money as possible there in support of the cause. So we took home a big bag of hairbows, an embarrassing number of bake sale items, and Brian went through the BBQ line more than once. We paid for Brianna to spend the whole time jumping in the inflatables and riding that cute little train. I laughed at myself being so spend-happy, because it's SO not like me. I don't indulge my children or myself very often. But the incredibly good cause and the happy endorphins from the race made me open my (Brian's) wallet like never before. Afterward we went to Costco and the temple, then took a nap on the drive home. Seriously, if only every Saturday morning could be so perfect....
As I was sitting on the park bench feeding Bennett, to my surprise I see these familiar folks go by in the train. Brian is such a goof. Love him.
Buying a ridiculous number of bows. Just had to support the cause, ya know. 
Brian and Brianna having a picnic with their BBQ lunches

2 comments:

The Gilson Girls said...

did you notice the pun of "bc" , before children...or Brian and Chelsea, without the b c and b...cute

summer said...

glad you are back in your element....and what is this I caught on FB about a move for your family?! I'm sure you are swamped...but when you get some time tell the whole story here to catch us all up on this next great adventure! And please can you write it in just a tad bit bigger font?! I know - I'm a picky blogging friend :)