Monday, February 28, 2011

Moving-McKells, Bountiful-Bound

There are very few days blogging doesn't cross my mind at all. I'm frequently composing blog posts in my mind as I go about life. I snap pictures of my kids and think about how fun it will be to post. I don't always actually get around to DOING it, but like so many other areas of my life... I have ambitious intentions and lack time to accomplish everything I want.
I can honestly say that for the past few days, I haven't given a single thought to blogging. Or much of anything.... besides.... MOVING. Packing, cleaning, renting, calling, planning, boxing, tossing, crying, smiling, praying, hoping, stressing, wondering, thanking, strategizing, reminiscing....
But mostly just packing. That's the focus.
Because we need to be across the state by Friday so Brian can start his new position with Enterprise.
He's the new Branch Manager of the BOUNTIFUL, UTAH office! It's twice the size of the Cedar office, so definitely a step up for him. He's pretty jazzed about the promotion. I am too... except for the whole part about it being 200 miles away from my LIFE.
I love Cedar City. I love my friends here. I love my ward. I love our house. I love the running trails under the C on the mountain. I love that I know where everything is. I love our mild 4 seasons. We are settled and happy here. But like that annoying quote about how violins strings only play music when they're stretched... it's time for a new adventure and a new chapter of life. Another annoying quote - don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.  =P    PPpPllbBBbbBhhbhhBbhhh.  That's me not smiling. Just pouting.
But I'm trying very hard to move forward with a good attitude. I'm playing the part of the supportive wife and making this transition happen. Brian claimed he would take some of his days off (because he has TONS of them that he always just allows to expire) and help pack up. But that turned into a few hours off. Which were still mostly spent on the phone and computer doing work-related activities. That's why Brian's getting promoted. He's freakishly devoted to his career.
It's been little miracle after little miracle. We found an awesome property management company (JEM), who found a renter for our home immediately. And at a price that covers our mortgage and a little more (which may get eaten up in maintenance, but at least we're not losing anything and don't have to worry about details). Finding a place in Bountiful has been a circus. Searching KSL and weirdo-scam-infested Craigslist.... making tons of calls (bye bye cell minutes! ouch!) and sending emails... getting the run-around from so many flaky people...  But I think we found a keeper. This morning. A lady posted their condo at 8am, then saw my ad on KSL entitled "Great renters looking for great rental," and called me up immediately. Turns out she has boy-girl baby twins too! I think this was meant to be. 
I have so many people to thank and I'll never be able to repay them. The Gardner family... watching our kids, bringing food (especially helpful, since I've been forgetting to feed myself and children during these chaotic days), spending hours packing/cleaning/organizing with me....  seriously, I'm not sure we've ever had such generous friends. Kristin, Jami, Lisa, Monica, Tammi, Lindy, Cindy, Dana, Marilyn... these women have all been angels. Absolute lifesavers. And I didn't even ASK - they just CAME! Amazing. I'm bringing them all Trek Bars from Great Harvest tomorrow. Then we're even, right?!
Tomorrow... TOMORROW - - we're getting the moving van! Then we'll fill it with our worldly possessions and say goodbye to a fabulous chapter in our lives. I don't know what awaits us in Northern Utah, but if it's even close to as good as Southern Utah has been to us, then we're in for some great adventures.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Can you say SUPERMOM?! cuz holy cow you are amazing getting this all done so fast! I didn't know you were moving so soon. Good luck and if you need a place to feed the babes, let toddler play, sleep or eat - hit us up on your way and if not well be coming to visit pronto! :)

Amanda said...

Well I am certainly jazzed about this move!!Now you are closer to me! Ok, well I live in Riverton which is quite south from Bountiful, but hey we could still have you over for dinner! Good luck with the move and give us a shout if you need help.

Jenna said...

Wow - that is a big change and a TON of work! Good luck with it all

Ashley said...

Glad you made it there safe and sound, good luck getting everything set up. Southern Utah lost a great family, but Bountiful will be lucky to have you guys. It is great that you are so supportive of Brian and his job, you did an amazing job with everything on the move. I am impressed, I could not have accomplished all of that!

Sam and Melissa said...

You are officially the moving queen. I don't know how you do it with 3 little ones, and so fast! I bet you will love that area. I miss Ogden a lot. And you will have road races galore to run, all year long!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry that you have to leave a place that you love and adore, but I'm glad that you are closer and we can hopefully get together and ooh and aww over each other's new babies.
There is a place down in Bountiful/Woods Cross/North Salt Lake (obviously, I'm not exactly sure where) that Addison LOVES going to. It is called Kangaroo Zoo. We'll have to have a playdate there one day.